Darkling beetles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
I am almost completely out of live insects. When I noticed that I was starting to run low, I immediately put an order in. The order has been delayed with everything going on, and I worry about what I'll do until they come in. I had about 200 feeder mealworms that I have already fed off. I have started breeding mealworms, so I have quite a few darkling beetles. I was wondering if it would be ok to feed a few of those? My beardie is about 10 months old. I feed his bugs one at a time to make sure he chews them completely. I have heard that darkling beetles taste bad, so not all beardies like them. I have also read that they should only be fed in moderation, as their shell is really hard to digest. Obviously, this is not a staple food item, but I was wondering if it should be fine until his insects come in? I live about 3 hours from the nearest pet store, and they are only open a couple of hours of the day. If I need to, I will drive up there to purchase some crickets.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I dont know a thing about those darkling beetles -- you can order some dubia roaches and some silk worms from here they are both a good staple feeder --- they ship right away
www.reptilianarts.com if you order bulk silk worms get food as well you will need to feed them and clean containers out everyday --- dubias can be kept in a plastic tote or 10 gallon aquarium and fed dubia food along w carrots and squash for hydration a food you feed your dragon like fruits etc ---- dont feed your dragon carrots too to much Vit A
Karrie

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1azqkoi3 said:
I dont know a thing about those darkling beetles -- you can order some dubia roaches and some silk worms from here they are both a good staple feeder --- they ship right away
http://www.reptilianarts.com if you order bulk silk worms get food as well you will need to feed them and clean containers out everyday --- dubias can be kept in a plastic tote or 10 gallon aquarium and fed dubia food along w carrots and squash for hydration a food you feed your dragon like fruits etc ---- dont feed your dragon carrots too to much Vit A
Karrie
Thanks for the reply! Because of my current living situation, I can’t keep Dubias as feeders. I’ve also looked into silk worms, but for some reason they won’t ship to my location until 3 days from now. I think it has something to do with my local office? I’ll hold off on the darkling beetles until I get more information. Maybe the fact that no one feeds their beardies these beetles should be enough for me. I’m running out of options, so I may have to take a day trip to the store. I’ll let you know if anything changes! Thanks for the help

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have run to the store to see about other sources of food, but they only have night crawlers and red worms. I have been researching these bugs and have been told many different things. I have heard night crawlers are very nutritious, but also that some beardies have died of protein toxicity eating them. Also that bugs sold as “bait” were likely to have parasites. What should I do? My order got delayed until Friday and I have started to slowly introduce my beardie to darkling beetles. I mix the reptile pellet food into his veggies, but he doesn’t seem to want that. I hate this situation so much. I know that a few days on veggies probably won’t hurt him, but I feel terrible!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He will be fine till Fri -- where did you order from? I would ditch the dried pellet stuff -- its not very healthful -- feed it to your feeders along w/ other stuff---- and if hes not eating it anyways :bleick:
anything from a bait store I would be wary of--- and I would not feed ---
Karrie

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":l3ruvp0v said:
He will be fine till Fri -- where did you order from? I would ditch the dried pellet stuff -- its not very healthful -- feed it to your feeders along w/ other stuff---- and if hes not eating it anyways :bleick:
anything from a bait store I would be wary of--- and I would not feed ---
Karrie
I ordered from a few different sites and locations hoping one would get here soon. I think it has something to do with my location, as all of the sites have delayed their order. The bait is from Walmart, though I still wouldn’t trust it. The only food I have for him is his veggies and dried mealworms that came with his tank (probably going to the birds!). So will he be fine on a few beetles a day until then? I’m hoping the orders come in sooner than Friday, but until then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom