Superworm bedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoutix

Hello, I just got an order of 1000 superworms at my house today and I'm wondering what kind of substrate I can use. I know I can use oats and oatmeal, but can it be flavored oatmeal or no? Is it safe? I don't have regular oatmeal, only the flavored ones. What other options do I have? Thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

You don't want to use the flavored ones as they have sugar and a bunch of other junk it in that you don't want your worms or your dragon to be eating.

You want to use plain oats. You can also use wheat bran. I've always used oats but am experimenting with using wheat bran now instead.

-Brandon

Scoutix

Original Poster
Claudiusx":3kvsh0gi said:
Hi there,

You don't want to use the flavored ones as they have sugar and a bunch of other junk it in that you don't want your worms or your dragon to be eating.

You want to use plain oats. You can also use wheat bran. I've always used oats but am experimenting with using wheat bran now instead.

-Brandon

Alright. The place I got them from said they used flavored oatmeal to ship them in so should I immediately put them in some normal oatmeal? Will they be good to eat in a few days for my bearded dragon? I hope I didn't waste my money on all of them if I can't do anything about it now.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't know of anyone who uses flavored oatmeal. Personally, I wouldn't buy from a breeder who feeds their worms that.
After a few days of a normal healthy diet the worms should definitely be ok for your dragon though.

-Brandon

Scoutix

Original Poster
Claudiusx":r1l07dd4 said:
I don't know of anyone who uses flavored oatmeal. Personally, I wouldn't buy from a breeder who feeds their worms that.
After a few days of a normal healthy diet the worms should definitely be ok for your dragon though.

-Brandon

Phew good! Thanks a lot! Also can I use lentils at all as a substrate for them or does it have things they can't have?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've never used lentils but i'd imagine it would be ok. It wouldn't be bad for them to eat.
But I can't say how effective a substrate it would be as i've never used it personally.

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
I also use old fashioned oats. No instant, no flavors.
Keep in mind that they need moisture too. I put in a couple large chunks of carrot, leave it 24 hours +/-, feed my boy his dinner, then throw out the carrot chunks. You don't want the carrot in there for extended periods of time because it will mold and that's the last thing you want in your Supers. ? After another 24-36 hrs, I add more carrot, leave for about 24 hrs, feed my boy and trash the carrot. I also make it a point to know how many chunks of carrot I use so as not to miss a piece that could mold. Usually 3 large pieces. ?
My boy Petey is about 3yo so he only gets his Supers every 3rd day, but big salads of greens and veggies daily.
This is just the way I do it and it's worked well for us.?
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom