Gutloading Dubias

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I read somewhere on this forum that you should put the food you're using to gutload your dubias on a plate or in a dish... won't they find it hard to climb into or onto those? Are there special plates or dishes I should be looking for to use? I just tossed a handful of wilting arugula in... I can see how it will be a pain to pick out the pieces the roaches don't eat without a dish.

On a related topic, I've been using apple slices to feed and hydrate my dubias, but wanted to use some greens as well, since Figment is so picky about eating his greens. Will/can dubias eat greens? What sorts seem best?

Thanks!

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
For a plate I've used a small plastic frisbee turned upside-down. The dubia have an easy time getting on and off that, even the littliest ones.

Personally I have had mixed results feeding the dubia greens. The greens become wilted before they finish eating them. Fruits and vegetables and even oatmeal I have had predictable success with. Last week I gave my dubia a small bunch of stems from cilantro. They definitely ate some, but most wilted then the dubia do not seem interested once wilted. I have them on a heat mat which I am sure contributes to the greens wilting faster.

use a small lid to a container or a small plastic bowl if you use a bowl a section of egg flat laid inside will let them get in and out.

Greens get dried out way too fast, but I have sometimes taken the stalks of the collards (too big and firm for the beardie), and put them in, and they get eaten a bit.

The best food I have found for dubia has been carrot.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
karmakollector":2ylq8nkm said:
Greens get dried out way too fast
IME they wilt, rot, & stink, but... yeah, it's probably just a difference in humidity.

The best food I have found for dubia has been carrot.
+1 ___I drop in a baby carrot (or cut one in half and split it up) and remove it a couple days later when it's mostly eaten and begins to look/get funky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom