Am I likely allergic to Dubia if I am to Bloodworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckys19

I know there is a lot of difference between the midge fly larvae (bloodworms) and Dubia, but I just want to be on the safe side. I have a mild allergy to the aquarium food bloodworms, I get itchy red skin where I've touched them. I've seen that people could also develop an allergy to dubia, is it possible I might be more susceptible to this allergy?

Thanks!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I'm not a medical doctor, but I think the easiest way to find out is controlled exposure (keep some antihistamines handy).

If there's a sensitivity to dubias, I would think it more likely to be from inhaling dropping dust in the air. It could be from touching them, but in almost 4 weeks, I haven't yet had a need/reason to touch one.

I use a forceps (long tweezer type) to count them out into his dish or take them out of the dusting baggie--never need to directly contact them. If I did, I'd just put on a pair of nitrile gloves like I do when cleaning up his messes. If there were an airborn problem, I'd wear a dust mask.

I already have antihistamines on hand for existing allergies (dust & hayfever).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom