Selling Feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hi ya'll,

Does anyone know what documentation, if any, is needed to lawfully sell feeder insects? Looking online I haven't found anything, and since I'm not interested in selling outside of my state, I think I should be fairly good legality-wise, but I want to double check with you knowledgeable folk just to cover my butt.

I'm not looking into anything big. I just have a lot of excess feeders and terrarium plants I want to try to sell at next month's reptile expo since a table is only about $40. I figure it's a fair enough gamble to see if it pays out - if I don't make table and gas money back, I'll know I can safely cull my colonies back to produce just what I need, and if I make more than that I can decide to keep my colonies going at their current scale or even make them a might larger. If I break even? Well, it'll be a fun experience either way. :)

Thanks all,
-Ellen

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The reptile show might want some form of documentation but I'm not sure, I'd call them.

As far as selling locally, it's a largely unregulated market. The only thing uncle Sam wants is you to claim your profits so he can take some lol...

I've sold feeders and dragons for years without any licenses. Although I'm probably going to be picking up a business license in the next year or two, it's not necessary for what I've been doing.

-Brandon

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey Brandon,

See, calling the place I'd be selling at to ask them is such an obvious solution I'd never have thought of it. Thank you! And yes, taxes be what taxes are... LOL.

Cheers,
-Ellen

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Ellentomologist":2f0lkocy said:
Does anyone know what documentation, if any, is needed to lawfully sell feeder insects? Looking online I haven't found anything, and since I'm not interested in selling outside of my state, I think I should be fairly good legality-wise, but I want to double check with you knowledgeable folk just to cover my butt.

IANAL

Speaking as someone who has owned a small business, to do things legally, you need a business license from your state (which may be obtained through county/city offices. This also allows (requires) you to collect sales tax if/where applicable.

You may need to choose how your business will be organized (Sole Proprietor, Partnership, LLC, S-Corp, Corporation); each has different rules & obligations.

If you need something specific to selling feeder insects, it would likely be from/through the Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development--Licensing, Certification
https://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,4610,7-125-1569---,00.html

Insurance & Taxes are different issues.

As mentioned, not everyone does these things, but some (if not most) states (especially those seeking revenue) do occasionally send out inspectors to check if vendors have documentation (which is--in some states--required to be displayed at events). I have not personally been approached by any such inspectors (always had our Tax ID prominently displayed) but I have heard of people who've been caught & penalized.

YMMV.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
As often/usual, I forgot the crux of my post--suggesting a possible alternative. :oops:

If it were me, I might visit a few local reptile shows, meet some breeders (of both feeders and "feedees" :) ) and develop a small network of folks who might occasionally be willing to take the surplus off my hands privately. :wink:

You won't get as much as retailing them, but you won't have to sweat the hassles either (including making the "nut" on table fees. That's worth something.

[EDIT] I was just reading some older threads on establishing a colony for just one beardie. There were some good bartering suggestions in some of them e.g.: https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=220428
There are more similar threads. I googled: do i need a dubia colony for one bearded dragon

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom