Suggestions for my roach colony

Status
Not open for further replies.
My roach colony has 50 females and 15 males, as well as about 40 nymphs that came with the colony. I have 3 egg cartons lined up together. I am using cricket quencher and apples/oranges to feed them. I put all the food right up next to the egg cartons to keep them from tipping over. I am using a small heat pad directly under the egg cartons (it is OUTSIDE the bin). I put the bin on top of a plastic box thing because I don’t want the heat pad to burn my carpet. I try to keep a constant supply of apples/oranges in their tank. Whenever they finish their food, I put more in. Is this a good setup? Am I doing everything right?

100349-2433991023_small.jpg

100349-9983334350_small.jpg

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
It looks fine. I would be careful with how high the cartons are to the lid. They might be able to escape even with the lid closed. I can't tell from the pic just how close to the lid they can get. Also you don't have to use the quencher stuff. They will get enough moisture from food without it. I used stuff like that for a while and it just got gross and messy after a while and quit using it. After your colony is well established you probably won't need the heating pad unless you have a lot of things you're feeding. I have way too many now so I don't bother with heat and just keep them at room temp. I also throw in wheat bread and other veggies sometimes. Good luck with your colony.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
i been succesfully breeding DUBIAS is fairly easy but somewhat it is work it takes around 6 months for a nymph to become an adult i would suggest to get another bin same as you got so when you clean you can just transfer with the same lid put more egg cartons in there fill up the bin with just enough room
to put 2 dishes 1 for dry food and 1 for water crystals and feed some fruits and veggies preferably with a lot of fluids. from my experience is not just the heat that makes the colony thrive but keeping it well fed it helps a lot keep the warm side to around 80 to 85 f dont need any more then that if it gets to 90 92 that IS Fine where the food is you can keep that at room temp for dry food you can feed you roaches whatever you like my roaches love wheat bran some brown sugar and a bit of vegan dog food i mainly just feed apples to my roaches are is the easiest the feeders i give them calcium and vegetables when my dragon is actually eating them a female breeds alot of nymphs so in a few months your are going to have a lot of roaches i recently gave away lot of adult ones to a coworker i had too many.and the height doesnt matter as long as the lid is well secured my roaches climb the screen they havent got out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom