Breeding BSFL // Bug poop as fertilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
I'm very interested in breeding BSFL for my boy and using the tea they make as a fertilizer for my dragons crops. I also keep superworms and dubia and was curious about using their frass as fertilizer.

For breeding BSFL, do I need to trap the adults in with the rearing container via screen cage or will they do fine coming back to lay their eggs because it has a good food supply for their young?

I plan to feed the BSFL all organic foods so the tea they make will be all organic. Is it safe to use as fertilizer for my beardies food? How do I go about this?

I also want to make use of the excess frass I have from roaches and supers. How can I use this for my growing crops as fertilizer?

I'm planning to build my boy a new enclosure as I feel a 40gallon is too small for him. I wanted to make an area to possibly grow edible plants in. Would I be able to safely use fertilizer I've collected from my bugs to use on the plants inside my beardies new enclosure? It would be chemical free and all organic.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've never used the frass like that but it's an interesting idea. I'd probably mix it into the soil of your garden or set it up as a tea in a watering can and spray down the garden a few times early in the season to enrich the soil. I use organic fertilizer in my garden in the spring so I don't imagine this would be much different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom