Wormies on the bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrphuzz

So I was checking out my dubia colony this morning (a few babies, but not as many as I expected), and I noticed some seed moths on the bottom mixed in with the frass, so I investigate and I observe some tiny white larva snuffling around in it too. So I do a thorough cleaning of the bin. Perhaps seed moths laid eggs in the roach chow... Or maybe the screen holes were too big. Or maybe moths got in while the lid was off at some point. Not sure. I guess I'm just looking for some thoughts from people in the know. What are some other causes of these larvae, if anyway? Are they a concern for the health of the colony? Should I get cleaner beetles? I've read up on them a bit, but I read mixed opinions. Often the negative opinions suggest the beetles can get out of control and start chowing down on the roaches. So yeah... any thought and opinions and ideas would be welcome!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't run into those but your thought about them coming in with the chow is a possibility. I've had grain mites come in that way too and started microwaving the chow when it arrives. I don't think the larvae would be harmful but a small cleaner crew might be helpful. If you're cleaning out the dead roaches regularly and keep the housing fresh and aren't smelling any foul odors from the colony it shouldn't need much intervention though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom