Quick sorting / collection of crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Dealing with crickets QUICK !!

Only adult crickets churp.

Feeder crickets will not breed in the house unless they have access to dirt, they simply wonder off and hide , coming out at night to look for love, food and water.

You need :
> a 30L plastic file tub or similar size in a tote (with clip on lid)
> a bugblaster (vacuum) http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252505608929?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT , I use these, and with a good 9V battering installed , I can suck up 80-100 crickets in under 5 seconds !!
> a bunch of empty and clean cricket tubs (these are the same as the kind of clear plastic tub you get Chinese food delivered in and are usually 750ml capacity which is plenty for 60-80 crickets and a bit egg-crate
ie http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Clear-Plastic-Containers-Tubs-With-Lids-Microwave-Food-Safe-500-650-750-1000ml-/121818082712?var=&hash=item1c5cec6d98:m ,
if you have been buying from a petshop, they tubs they have crickets in are perfect as they are already ventilated , if buying new unused tubs, the need the lids ventilated (drill a bunch of tiny holes or use a very small 1mm diam soldering iron or bit of hot wire).
> a bottle of RepCal adult beardie pellets
> a small bottle with popon or screw on lid for dusting , these are what I use http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Take-Away-Containers-Takeaway-Food-Plastic-Round-Sauce-Bulk-5oz-20oz-25oz-30oz-/272131491242?var=&hash=item3f5c4d05aa:m:mbxkv-0Du04RQO4ddJYxRGQ
usually get a few of these with your order 3 - 5 courses of home delivered Chinese food
> a cardboard box big enough to store the 12 - 16 tubs of crickets in.

What I do is I order in 700 - 1000 crickets per batch in the size I need.
They arrive in the mail / or by parcel delivery.
Usually in long mailer tubes.

My procedure :
A few days before I plan to use a tub of crickets , I add some fresh buk choi greens to the tube to gutload the wee beasties with high quality high calcium greens.
Ever few days in winter I check all my tubs and remove / dispose of any sick or dead crickets, in summer is every other day.
1) remove lid from mailer tube and tip / coax , knock the crickets out into my 30L tub.
2) I prepare enough keeper tubs to hold 60 - 80 crickets each with a bit 6 cup egg crate + 8-10 dry pellets + a chunk of fresh carrot (water source and food) and I write on the lid the date.
3) take my Bugblaster and suck up about 60-80 crickets
4) turn off the Bugblaster and with the cricket tub lid slight ajar ( open at one corner ) I poke the nose of the bugblaster tube in and tip the crickets in , might need a bit of coaxing to the crickets who are hanging on.
5) lid secure
6) repeat steps 3 , 4 , and 5 until all my crickets have been transferred , I might have a few escapees , they are easy caught with the bugblaster, or simply let beardie be on the floor , he'll see the escapees and make a snack of them.

Feeding time procedure
a) take a keeper tub of crickets and place it in the 30L tub (above)
b) lid off let them crimb out or pick up the egg crate and shake them off into the 30L tub.
c) lid back on and set keeper tub aside
d) have my dusting bottle / mini-tub ready
e) take the bugblaster and suck up the crickets you intend to use, then transfer them to the dusting tub as per steps 3 , 4 , and 5 only the crickets go into the dusting bottle instread.
f) shake shake shake shake
g) fish out now dusty crickets a couple at a time by hand and give to beardie.
h) unused crickets are returned to the keeper tub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom