What are the alternatives feedings for hornworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timtr520

Hello,
I'm having trouble researching an alternative way of feeding my hornworms and no luck finding. I have a bearded dragon and i know that tomato is a no go for my hornworms. I bought a case of hornworms and now their food is all gone. I'm trying to find an alternative food fast before I buy the hornworms chow food and eating each other. Please can you provide me a list of food i can give them??

And is this a recommend hornworms chow?
https://www.amazon.com/Hornworm-Chow-Artificial-Diet-Cooked/dp/B01MQ0JRB7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497324432&sr=8-1&keywords=hornworms+food

Thanks guys! Really appreciated.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As far as I know they need that chow to eat. Most of the time they ship with enough to get to full size. If you still have some worms and no more chow, you could try chilling them a bit so they go into a kind of stasis. Using a wine fridge is the easy way. Keep them between about 55-65 to slow growth. This should keep them in good shape for a few days until the additional chow arrives. If you don't have a wine fridge or programmable fridge of some kind. Try keeping them in the basement or cooler area of the house. They grow quickly at warm temperatures. Once they are fully grown they will either start to cocoon or die off but they will stop eating either way.

timtr520

Original Poster
Hey thanks for your respond!

My area is starting to get hot. I guess I'm screwed lol. I have alot of hornworms and i hate it that they eat so fast and poop alot lol. Though, is the link above is a recommend food for hornworms?

Thank you!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member

charmander16

Juvie Member
I hear you. The thing is that I'd love to be able to feed 1 hornworm a day on a regular basis as a hydration source, but it's virtually impossible to do this because they grow so fast. Even when I order only 1 container of them I end up having to feed like 2 day, which is kid of too much and then they are all gone quickly.

Yeah, if someone could breed a slower growing version of hornworms they'd be in good business :p

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
timtr520":3ir2vt8i said:
Hey thanks for your respond!

My area is starting to get hot. I guess I'm screwed lol. I have alot of hornworms and i hate it that they eat so fast and poop alot lol. Though, is the link above is a recommend food for hornworms?

Thank you!
'

Try blanching them and then freezing them. This viewtopic.php?f=76&t=225919 is for silkworms, but I guess it'll be similar for hornworms .... worth a try, since they are going to die and be wasted otherwise, and if it works, you have a way of saving excess hornworms for emergencies.

This way you might be able to thaw out one a day for beardie .

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If any do end up in a cocoon + turn in to the moth you can feed those as well. Beardies get very excited with one of those flapping in the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom