Dubia heating and breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

tizmegz

Hey so I'm going to try and start breeding dubia, after struggling to get the temps high enough with just a heat matt I decided to ditch it, i have now got myself a cupboard and ceramic bulb with higher temps although it seems to have maxed out at 80.5f. Will this be ok to breed? as I have read that the optimum temp is 85-90f thanks pics attached.
90741-2533584824.jpg
90741-9275088072.jpg
90741-7508654408.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's lower than optimum, but I've found that they can handle a pretty big range of temperatures and conditions. I've kept mine in the basement which is usually in the 60s and only had a heat projector during the winter and they formed a thriving colony (I've since upgraded and leave the heat projector on all the time). If you keep providing fresh veges for them to eat I think they'll be just fine at 80.

tizmegz

Original Poster
It got up to 85 so that's a bit better I just ordered a colony tonight so should come in next few days I am planning on leaving the heat on all the time but do some people turn it off/down over night? Also what do u think of my set up and risk of fire lol I'm a bit paranoid but it's been on for over 12 hours and seems fine what would happen when a ceramic bulb fails etc I tried mats but wasn't hot enough so this seems the easiest tidiest way. thanks

tizmegz

Original Poster
Also do u think it would be enough ventilation the cupboard doors have gaps in them but not sure if it's enough just don't wanna get problems with mould and stuff

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since it's enclosed, you may want to hook it to a thermostat to help prevent overheating. I just have my colony in a 20g long tank with a mesh top and a heat projector bulb on an adjustable stand overhead. It heats the top of their housing but gives a gradient across the tank to the "cool side" where the food is. I just have it on all the time now and let them figure out what temp they want at any given time. My setup is definitely on the sparse, "leave it be" side of things - there are lots of different ways to do it. I've found the difference in temperature mostly affects their breeding speed.

76248-4768611197.jpg

tizmegz

Original Poster
Yes it is on a thermostat a pulse one but it's a 150 watt ceramic and it's turned right up to get 85f I'm just not sure how hot it would be to cause overheating to a dangerous level as in fire saftey but when I open the cupboard the plastic is warm but no wear near melting point so I think it will be ok

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It has to get pretty hot to melt plastic. A ceramic heat emitter can melt plastic on contact but it's not usually an issue further away. I prefer using the MegaRay heat projector due to it running cooler than the CHEs but if you have it on a pulse thermostat it should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom