200 lbs Roach & Cricket Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Based on conversations here, and some of my own research I made up 200 lbs of roach food. I'm going to have it available when I sell my orange head roaches at the expo I'll be vending at.
It took forever to grind up that much food :)
[ximg]85426 4968653838[/ximg]

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Geez that should last the bugs a couple of weeks at least! :wink: Are you going to start selling it online or just at expos?

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I have so many roaches I go through over a lb a day. So 200 lbs isn't even a years supply for me. But I'm just going to have it at the expo. Maybe if I actually buy a mill it would be easier to mail stuff. I used my Nutrabullet to grind it all up and it took forever. To be honest I was surprised it didn't burn up the Nutrabullet, it's not intended to grind up dry stuff.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Would a malt mill work? They are relatively cheap at a homebrew store and are designed to crush 50lb bags of malt. You can run them manually or hook a drill up to them for bigger jobs.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Not sure Cooper, I'll have to do a bit of research tonight. A mill I was looking at was about $250 and figured I might invest in one if sales go well at the expo. But if the malt mill is cheaper and would work, it might be worth buying one.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Did a bit of research, the really nice ones have adjustable rollers, but they are pretty expensive. However I did find a motorized grinder that holds 2.2 lbs of material for about $150. It has gotten pretty good reviews on Amazon, I'll probably order one eventually. My orange head colony eats well over 1 lb of food a day. So the grinder to would get used a lot and would be much quicker/easier than my Nutrabullet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom