Unbelivably Confused About Superworms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Please forgive me if you deem me as ignorant but why are superworms so bad? Because they have a hard shell? But Bearded Dragons can digest pinky bones? I have seen that they have low nutritional value, but taking the 2 charts on the websites cited under bearded dragons on this post: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=197902 I show that they aren't all that bad. Although the nutritional information on the sites doesn't match. While other items are better, I don't understand why people have used mealworms for years and all of the sudden they are now bad.. Does the Phoenix worm company pay for this site to advertise or something?

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Mealworms have been a bad food item for as long as I can remember (25+ years). It's the chitin and fat content that makes them a poor food choice.
It also seems odd that the thread you referenced said super worms can be fed as a staple, and a member had a question on this and the response said they could be. Staple means the main food source so I disagree. They are too fatty and are hard to digest...so I'm unsure why they should be considered safe as a staple. The response has me a bit confused as well....maybe both of us can get an answer on this.

Skipper7

Juvie Member
I'm with rankins, they can't be a staple. Especially in young Beardies. However, they are great in a balanced diet. Most of the "bad" worms (wax, butter, super, I'm sure there are more) are fine in moderation.

Kinda like a human diet. McDonalds burgers shouldn't be your main food source, but they are fine in moderation.

I'm laughing right now because the Phoenix Worm banner ad is under your post on my screen :lol:
They don't pay for this site. In fact, you'll see that most people actually reccomend roaches as the main staple with BSFL, horn worms, and supers mixed in.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
First off, Superworms and Mealworms are similar but difference species. The most notable difference is that superworms are larger. Nutritionally they are similar, they are both high in fat (compared to crickets) and too much fat in the diet can cause all sorts of issues for lizards just like other animals.

As for digestibility, how well a dragon can process and pass its food (or other things it happens to eat) will depend on things like health, hydration, temperatures, exercise and how much they have eaten. There are lots of stories about (especially small dragons) having issues digesting mealworms so generally they are discouraged to avoid complications since there are several other better feeders available. Does that mean that a few mealworms for a healthy adult dragon would cause a problem? Probably not, but that's a different question than 5-10 minutes worth of mealworms for a little dragon.

[url:3ijfnc2m said:
http://www.geckotime.com/nutritional-value-of-commercially-raised-insects/[/url]":3ijfnc2m]While statements like “some insects are too hard” or they “contain too much chitin” or they “have too much shell” and thus are inappropriate for some species of insectivores are commonly encountered online, those statements have little basis in fact. Most insects contain relatively small amounts of chitin (chitin is only present in the cuticle/outside layer of the insect) and it is unlikely to be an issue for insectivores eating a diet consisting of multiple species of appropriately sized commercially raised insects.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I have had many reptiles throw up boluses of undigested mealworms and superworms many times. But never roaches or crickets...
I take that as a good sign they are difficult to digest.

massconfusion149

Original Poster
Rankins":9uoqczp6 said:
I have had many reptiles throw up boluses of undigested mealworms and superworms many times. But never roaches or crickets...
I take that as a good sign they are difficult to digest.

While my baby nor my sisters adult have never had the issue.The only noticeable "worm" I have even found in poo is BSFL.

massconfusion149

Original Poster
Rankins":1pc3zedk said:
I'm not talking about poo... :)
I'm talking about a bolus of undigested food being thrown up.

Ok, we'll haven't seen that either. And while at my sisters place, he was fed only mealworms, salad and calcium powder... he had normal, formed poo... when I brought crickets in, poo was runny. With BSFL it is not as runnyou but still is. So, if runny poo is bad and mealworms are bad and crickets cause parasites, which is the cause for runny poo? Mealworms were good, regular and solid wherected anything else is not.

massconfusion149

Original Poster
Rankins":3p0znt69 said:
I just edit my answer to show a report on this. I'll find more and post them also.

OK, but I still remain with the fact that exclusively fed mealworms and salad, no issues presented until other insects were (even slowly) added to the diet.

massconfusion149

Original Poster
Rankins":2tb38gox said:
Huh?
Sorry, I'm not understanding what your saying :)

Apologies, let me clarify. My baby was fed mealworms and salad exclusively for at least 2 weeks. He ate and cropped normally until I gradually introducedar crickets.. those madetails poops runny so I got BSFL (CALCI WORMS) and still runny poo. Switch back to mealworm and the oh so terrible food regulates by baby??

Skipper7

Juvie Member
That's generally the opposite of most peoples problems :shock:

If he is doing well and putting on weight with mealworms, then so be it IMO. Husbandry practices differ. I would reccomend sticking to small mealworms and making sure he is well hydrated just in case something happens. Like taterbug said, they have fairly hardy digestive systems as long as they have the right conditions. If you are worried about feeding mealworms (which you dont seem to be :) ) you could try dubia as well.

Keep in mind that Beardies have a kink in their digestive track that doesn't straighten out till around 16 inches. This is where they get stopped up as little ones.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Still a bit confused, but that's fine. I'm trying to find more info on this. I'm looking through Katherine Tosney's stuff now. I actually contribute to a lot of her care page about 25 years ago. It's funny because I didn't know she put my name on it as a reference...or I didn't remember it at least :)

massconfusion149

Original Poster
Skipper7 said:
That's generally the opposite of most peoples problems :shock:

If he is doing well and putting on weight with mealworms, then so be it IMO. Husbandry practices differ. I would reccomend sticking to small mealworms and making sure he is well hydrated just in case something happens. Like taterbug said, they have fairly hardy digestive systems as long as they have the right conditions. If you are worried about feeding mealworms (which you dont seem to be :) ) you could try dubia as well.

Keep in mind that Beardies have a kink in their digestive track that doesn't straighten out till around 16 inches. This is where they get stopped up as little ones.[/quote

I received my bearded baby sampler tonight.. I tried to be okay with the roaches, but while making the dinner plate, I became complacent by opening various containers and placing worms onot a plate. I then reached the roaches and proceeded to puke all over.. needless to say my one thing I can't do is roaches. I tried the BSFL and within 2 dalso, about 900/1000 are dead. Crickets die fast.. so if I can't breed mealworms (which we have had no issues with) then what is easy to breed as a feeder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom