For those that are struggling to heat their roach bins....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lpsouth1978

Hatchling Member
I just thought I would share this, since there have been so many threads lately about heating roach bins. I was in the same boat, and could not get my roach bin above 80 degrees. I use Flexwatt heat tape on one side of my bin. It is connected to a thermostat and a dimmer. I keep the dimmer at full power, but still could not get to the temps I was looking for. Finally, I had an idea and ordered a roll of "Reflectix" foil insulation from Amazon. I wrapped the bin in it and cut a hole out where my side vent was. After an hour the temp was holding steady at about 94 degrees. This has been a great solution for me and only cost about $16.

Here is a photo of my bin wrapped in the foil insulation.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
That's a pretty good idea! I'm hoping to start my own roach colony *fingers crossed* starting tomorrow. I'll check into something like this or maybe a space blanket.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Looks nice! I thought of doing something similar...but most of my roaches are kept in my garage. It wouldn't be warm enough out there. My dubia colony is in the house...its the budget grey bins I have posted pictures of. My Colman cooler bins are in the garage and they stay nice and toasty :)

Ancline

I did a similar thing but I wraped mine in a double layer of old towels I wasn't using. I didn't cut out a hole for the air vents since I cut my air vent a little too big anyways so the towels ended up helping the humidity remain higher too.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I was searching for a better way to build my incubators and found this heating element. The holes in the frame will fit a 60mm fan, so I bought both the fan and the heater. I plan on using metal spacers in between the fan, heater, and the incubator. The fan will blow on the heater when the thermostat turns them on. Maybe someone might find this useful for their roach bins.
[ximg]85426 3340650643[/ximg][ximg]85426 9022187139[/ximg]

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
I was told by a professional roach breeder that 85 is the ideal temp. I could use ideas on keeping humidity up???

Ancline

Iloverex":3psileps said:
I was told by a professional roach breeder that 85 is the ideal temp. I could use ideas on keeping humidity up???
Interesting, I was told 90F. But yeah, I've had no problem with my bin staying between 80F and 90F, so 85F sounds good.

I'm not breeding mine but I order a few hundred at a time. What temperature should they be stored at? I'm going to read up on breeding. Ty

ryknoll3

Kimgreen16":bhxe2ik1 said:
I'm not breeding mine but I order a few hundred at a time. What temperature should they be stored at? I'm going to read up on breeding. Ty

Room temps are fine. Lower temps will keep them from growing as fast too, keeping them at the size you ordered.

Definitely look into breeding. It's super super easy. It will save you a lot of money in the long run. You can feed them kitchen veggie scraps and scraps from your dragons greens and they will be healthy and reproduce like crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom