Dubia Roaches-Heating Sources?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been doing research on starting to breed Dubia Roaches and wanted to know if anyone uses heat tape?
I heard it's the best to keep the heat regulated but it's pretty expensive.
And is it hard to keep it regulated w/o the tape?
What other heat sources would you suggest?

quyllur

Hatchling Member
I actually don't use any supplemental heat, I just keep them in my hot water tank room in my house. It's warm and dark and they do great. It's not the recommended 90F, so they probably would breed faster if I did add some heat, but they are active and eating and growing, so its enough.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A ceramic heat emitter works well too (but can cause the air to dry out quite a bit). I also don't use heat except during cold stretches in winter. I just keep them in the basement and they're fine.

emberNchester

Original Poster
My house doesn't really have a room that's any hotter or colder than the rest of the house. We have a garage but it's always usually colder in there. I'd have to have a source of heat to keep it above 75. I was thinking maybe a low-medium heating pad and a ceramic bulb to keep the heat balanced between the top and bottom. Would you think they'd get too hot With both?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You could put the CHE or a heat pad on a thermostat to keep it under control. Otherwise I'd monitor the temps closely for a while as you may need to make lots of tweaks at first. They seem to be pretty content if even the frass at the bottom stays nice and warm. I see them basking at the top of the cardboard stack when I have my CHE on so they're probably OK with either one.

flex watt heat mat... Google it. you can buy it any lengths you want, but the most important think you need is a thermostat! it keeps temps constant and they breed a lot better and faster.

honestly you could buy a cheap che or heat bulb (that doesn't emit light) and it would work. If you want a fast successful colony, I would invest in a $30 thermostat (with a probe, find them on ebay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom