Is a heat pad the best way to heat Dubia breeders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriGecko

5 males and 15 females are housed in a 19 gallon black Sterilite container. The house stays at 78 F constantly.

They may be breeding already - I saw the red egg sac things on the females' rears.
Either way, I bought a 10-20 heat pad, but I need to somehow attach a rheostat to it... the same type of heat pad heats my leopard gecko's hot side to 95-100 F. As I understand, that's too hot for dubias, so a rheostat must be necessary.

Even with the rheostat, will the heat pad melt the plastic container?

Is there any better or cheaper way to heat the container?

Also, do I need to be heating 3/8" dubias that are housed in a different container, or is the heat only needed for breeding?

Thank you in advance for any tips or advice.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
78 isn't a bad temperature. You could leave them at that and they'll be fine. They just may not breed as quickly. I keep mine in the basement at around 65-70 and turn off the heat projector now and then to slow down the colony's growth. I don't think a heat pad would melt the plastic unless it malfunctioned (which is a legitimate concern). You could also try heating from above by using a ceramic heat emitter or a heat projector (cooler) like this one http://www.reptileuv.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=196 The downside to heating this way is that it can cause the air to dry out if the food isn't replaced regularly (food being a source of moisture and humidity).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom