Dubia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadie0223

Hello,

I am trying to start my own colonial of Dubia Roaches I have 5 females and 5 males. I have tried Carrots, bananas, greens. i have them in a clear container with a blanket on the bottom of the container, i have 5 egg cartons, gel water and food. anything i am missing please let me know? I am all new to how to start a colonial. Can anyone help me.

Thanks,
Sadie

ruben0311

Juvie Member
so with male to female ratio you will need to reduce the number of males, having a large number of males with an equal number of females will cause competition and injuries or health issue between the whole group. try and have 1 to every 3 or 4 female. if you do not have any nymphs in the enclosure that can sometimes reduce the likelyhood of mating, it's thought that having young in with adults promotes breeding. remember that they are live bearing species so you won't have anything visible for about 1 month. temps should be in the 90s and humidity needs to be relatively high. keep at it and you should se results. I routinely add more nymphs so i keep the numbers up and only use the new nymphs as feeders. it takes some time to get it going but once it does it gives you a constant, sometimes excess, amount of feeders.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
a more important question i forgot to ask... how old are the females? where did you get them? females can only breed a certain amount of times so if they are old they may not be able to have any more young.

quyllur

Hatchling Member
They are also going to poop a lot, so I would remove the blanket. Bare bottom will be far easier to clean.

Sadie0223

Original Poster
ruben0311":2lj943gi said:
a more important question i forgot to ask... how old are the females? where did you get them? females can only breed a certain amount of times so if they are old they may not be able to have any more young.

i dont know how old they are, i got them from this place allanimalexpo.com out by me in Illinois

Sadie0223

Original Poster
quyllur":2bqo3oe8 said:
They are also going to poop a lot, so I would remove the blanket. Bare bottom will be far easier to clean.

the blanket is under the tote to keep it warm

ruben0311

Juvie Member
give them some more time and toss in smaller sized dubia also, if after a month you dont see some little ones running around get some new females and try again. By that time some of the sub-adults should be fully grown so you'll have your own brand new females to utilize. Try having only one male inside. they could be so competitive that the females are either rejecting them or they are not allowing each other to mate properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom