Superworms and grain mites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, recently I moved to superworms as a staple feeder. I know, before anyone crucifies me, about the possibility of impaction and fat content associated with superworms if overfed. Trust me, I am the biggest nutjob when it comes to my beardies safety. So heres my question, and tell me if you guys agree. Grain mites seem to be a big problem for those who use Supers as a staple. I know that flour mites dislike bay leaves , just as ants dislike cinnamon and spiders, peppermint. Tell me , what if I put bay leaves on the outside of my super carrier? Would it prevent mites? Probably not, yeah I know that, but add this one in: what if i left a container of bran and flour, maybe some oats, unprotected with no lid near, but not next to my bay leafed container? Would the mates just go for the easy access bran or are they insects and just want to ruin my life? Ive never had mites nor do I, I'd just like to see if i can foolproof my newly ordered supers.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have been keeping superworms for many years and have never seen one mite. I use oatmeal for the bedding, never had any problem. I keep the top off the containers for good air flow.

RockSkippa

Original Poster
diamc":2ulwy6sr said:
I have been keeping superworms for many years and have never seen one mite. I use oatmeal for the bedding, never had any problem. I keep the top off the containers for good air flow.
Living in Florida, what with high heat and humidity both, I feel mites may be more prevalent for me. If I could I'd just use roaches :evil: :angry5: :banghead:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I live in NY and we are having high temps and high humidity now too.

Don't see any reason why you couldn't try the bay leaves, worth a try and don't see how it could hurt anything. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom