Dubia Colony Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, it takes a couple months after mating to have babies. You don't need to incubate them...dubias give live birth. So if you keep your temps around 85°F-90°F you'll eventually get baby roaches.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Kind of figured that's what you were meaning, just making sure. Its more of a gestational period than incubation though.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Do they get really thick/plump when they are full of eggs?

Side note my feeder bin egg crates just got really damp. I've got the lid off now to let them air out, but why would the bottom just get damp all of a sudden? Should I throw it out and get new ones?

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I haven't noticed if pregnant roaches get fatter. I don't pay that much attention to them. My orange head roaches are much fatter than my dubias though.
How old are the egg crates? What was in the bin besides the roaches to get them wet?

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
I have 5 paper towel roll cut in half and two egg crates portion that came with them. The only other thing is a plate of greens,squash,and carrot and then a small lid with pellets mixed with orange juice. It was only on the bottom and only on what was touching the floor of the bin. Do roaches pee? Too humid?

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Sounds like something you put in with them got it wet somehow. Roaches don't really pee, its eliminated when the defecate. Doubt its humidity, condensation would likely be on the sides and top of the bin if humidity was that high.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Then LOVED that squash so maybe a peice got dragged over? Do they do that? Other idea is maybe my daughter hit it and spilled anything that was left from the veggies or OJ.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, I'm sure it was probably something the egg crates wicked up from the food. They do drag things around a bit. How are you offering the orange juice? I mix mine with the dried food so its like oatmeal. They eat more and get good hydration that way.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Same here. I actually got the idea from some of your other posts! I put the pellets in a cup with some OJ until it's like mush consistency. Then I spoon it into a shallow lid. The first day both bins destroyed the mush like it was feast or famine. Since then neither bin has shown much interest in the "mush".

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Haha..yeah, I kind of stole the orange juice idea from a care sheet I found on-line. Its works well for me because I don't use water crystal. I don't offer them much other than the roach food orange juice mix. They do get the greens I don't feed the Rankins though...once the greens in the frige start getting old the roaches get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom