What colony to start? (No roaches - Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kessed

Hatchling Member
I just got a baby dragon. I would like to start a colony of some kind of feeder so that I don't have to always buy. I have been reading things all day and I feel like my head is going to explode.

Right now I have a red worm colony because I verma compost. (I live in the frozen wastelands and this lets me throw out less stuff during the long winter) I have read mixed things about whether or not dragons can eat them. But, lets say for now that they won't be the primary feeder if they are used at all.

Roaches are illegal and I'd rather not go the route of turning into someone with an illegal roach colony to feed my dragon with.

That leaves crickets or a kind of worm. Crickets sound like a pain. Because it's what my baby has been eating, I do have a bulk order of 500 on the way. But I'm not hearing lots of positives to breading them.

So then we have worms. What's easy? It doesn't have to be fast, I have time. I'd like to start something now so that at some point I have my own food source. Zaxxi is 7 inches right now, so it sounds like superworms will be out for quite some time. I have found lots of things on meal worms. They seem super easy. Are they good enough? If I buy other things as occasional treats or order crickets occasionally, will my baby stay healthy?

I'd like to stay away from things that spend alot of time flying like fly larvae or moth larvae.

I'm looking for thoughts and opinions or maybe links to well trusted sources (since it seems like I can find opposite views on pretty much everything...)

Kessed

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm happy to order crickets for awhile. But in the winter, it's going to become hard. With the frozen winters, I'm not sure that it will work well to have them delivered by post.

Silkworms look interesting. How much work is it?

Kessed

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Right now I'm thinking that silk worms might be at the top of the list. I might do meal worms too because I have lots of veggie/fruit scraps that my red worms can't eat (I have 2 bins of worms, but we produce too much for them).

The other thing is that it's REALLY dry where I live. Like when people move here they are shocked at how dry their skin gets. Humidity has been around 15-20% the last week. So many of the feeders I've read about need high humidity which seems like it might be really hard to do well. (food often dries out instead of rotting... I'm serious that it is dry)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom