Order, Breed, or Reptile show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, for those of you who recognize me posting a gazillion posts, I am sorry. I have lots of questions!

Getting bugs from the local pet store isn't working anymore. It's economically insane, for one, and I only have the choice of crickets, mealworms, or super worms. I want to get into a rhythm of always having bugs on hand and having a variety of calcium/gut-loaded insects available for my beardie. I am not too inclined on breeding... Just another thing I have to think about that I don't want to, plus I am renting a small apartment and do not have much space.

Anyone have any tips on what works for them, best economically as well? Is it better to get in a habit of ordering online or just going to the reptile show every month and getting feeders in bulk? How do I keep all of these different feeders?! I'm struggling with online orders as well, no one wants to ship to cold Ohio for obvious reasons. Any tips would be very appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I have ordered online (in the summer) for things I can't get local (pheonix worms) or breed (supers, hornworms). Depends on how much you care to spend on shipping. I prefer the reptile shows because they don't charge shipping.

Pepper slows way down in the winter so he just gets what I can produce at home or treats if I find them at shows. I've a dubia colony, superworm colony (a big order keeps well setup properly), and rear silkworms at home.

KimNartemisia

Original Poster
Taterbug":cx2wyfbc said:
I have ordered online (in the summer) for things I can't get local (pheonix worms) or breed (supers, hornworms). Depends on how much you care to spend on shipping. I prefer the reptile shows because they don't charge shipping.

Pepper slows way down in the winter so he just gets what I can produce at home or treats if I find them at shows. I've a dubia colony, superworm colony (a big order keeps well setup properly), and rear silkworms at home.

I just ordered a big shipment of mealworms since they are slightly hardier than crickets, we'll see how it goes. Hoping to get some variety of feeders this weekend at the show. Arty has definitely shown no signs of slowing down insect wise... I guess not all dragons brumate?

So you breed dubias and supers? How many different carriers/tanks do you have for all of your insects? I'm low on space during the winter :) Is it time consuming to maintain a colony?

Thanks!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Some folks have problems with mealies and impaction, just so you are aware. I've not used them so I don't know if it's mostly a problem with little dragons or not.

I keep the supers in a 18qt or so tub in a drawer under my fishtank, I don't breed them though. It's slow and I can get them super cheep on eBay or at a show so I don't bother. I keep the dubia in a 30g fish tank in the basement (with feeders in a critter keeper for better gutloading/access). The silks I keep in little tubs on top of my snake cage. All in all they don't take up too much space. Well, compaired to the rest of the zoo anyway.

The roaches are happy as long as they are fed, and get cleaned every few months or if I screw up and the cage gets nasty.
The supers are a little more bother, I havn't figured out a simple way to keep the bedding clean. They like to pull food below and it can go foul if you don't keep after it.
The silks are happy as long as they are kept warm and a little humid. I feed them daily and dump the poop out as it accumulates.
Unless it's cleaning day I don't spend much time at all on bug chores.

I will say I have more bugs than I Realistically Need though. lol

KimNartemisia

Original Poster
Yes I am just deciding now that I won't be using mealies in the future (after I ordered, gah!). That's all her past owners fed her and my vet recommended me a mealie feed to help super-boost them, so I decided to bulk order them. She hasn't had any impaction problems in the past that I know of, but I am watching her carefully.

I didn't make it to the show because of weather... Bummed. I am trying to cut costs on feeders and I'd love to have my own set up so they can be gut-loaded properly and are always there when I need them, but I'm hesitant on starting a roach colony because I live in a small apartment where space is limited and I am sure my landlord would not be cool with a roach colony... Also, there is a possibility of me moving out of state soon, so starting a roach colony is probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Any recommendations? Maybe starting a silkworm colony or phoenix worm colony a better idea? My main issues are space, time, and money.

My beardie girl sure loves her insects. She will blow through this bulk order of mealies in no time. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom