Horn Worms & Wax Worms, How to keep them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luv4animalz

Hey guys!!

I just picked up some more feeders for my little guy tonight, I got my usual crix, but also snagged up a 25 count of Wax worms and 2 Horn worms (He's never had them before, just trying them out).

My question is. How do you keep these type of feeders? I know you can keep mealworms in the fridge to keep them dormant and to keep them from growing, etc. Can you do this with Wax worms too? Or should I just keep them at room temp? They will be gone in a few days I'm sure as there are only 20 (5 were dead upon opening them) and he can eat quite a few.

How would I keep the 2 horn worms I got? They gave them to me in a plastic bag with a piece of egg carton. I'm sure they can't survive in an airtight plastic bag. Would they be okay in just a plastic container with ventilation? Should I use a substrate or anything? TIA!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've kept waxworms in my wine fridge (around 60 degrees) and they've kept for a while without a problem. A regular fridge is too cold for them so an alternative would be a basement or cool room/closet. Hornworms should be in an inverted cup style container with and a vented lid - their food at the top and these often have ladders in them so they can climb and hang while they eat. They are better off at warmer temperatures in the 70s-80s. If you want to stop their growth you can wrap them in a paper bag with some newspaper insulation and put them in a wine fridge or cooler area (50s-60s) for a little while.
Here is some info on hornworms http://www.greatlakeshornworm.com/faq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom