Feeder insects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I just got two 5 month old female Rankins Dragons. They have no interest in crickets so are now eating mealworms. I am aware that mealworms are not the best choice in means of nutritional content. What would you recommend right now for them? They are only about 4 inches long and the space between their eyes is about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch. I would prefer feeders that are easy to maintain kinda like mealworms. I'm okay with all options (even roaches lol). Please advise as to which feeders may be best for my girls! Thanks!

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
[Moved from General to Feeders]

Both beardies are only 4 inches long? Including the tail? If so, then there's no way that they're 5 months old.

Is their loss of interest in crickets due to the fact that they can't catch them? I'd never met (nor heard of) a baby beardie who didn't like crickets.
You can try mini supers (if you can find them) or Phoenix worms, or even roaches (but only tiny ones).

haileytaco

Original Poster
They are "rankins Dragons" or "Lawson's dragons" which is why they are so small. They are a dwarf species of bearded dragon which max out at 8-12 inches. They look just like mini beardies and have almost the exact same requirements but I was not sure if they are more picky eaters. Also are dubias easier to maintain than pheonix worms?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Have you contacted the breeder? Did you get them from the bowling green herpetarium by chance? I've looked at their babies so many times, hard to resist. Anyway, I'm not sure why they would be uninterested in the crickets, but I would find out what they were being fed previously (maybe mealworms?) and maybe even what supplements where used.

Roach colonies are easy to maintain and roaches last longer than soldier fly larvae. I think the larvae last about two weeks or so? They are both great feeders.

haileytaco

Original Poster
Yes I did get them both from bowling green! Haha small world! I know they were offered mealworms and crickets but not sure what they actually ate thanks for the info though!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom