pine beetle larvae (weevil) safe to feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaTater

Hatchling Member
Just what it says :)
Are they safe to feed? My neighbor found a boat load while transplanting her plants. Worry not of pesticides and other chemicals. They look scrum-diddly-umtuous! I'd love to give the "kids" a treat!

As long as you're 100% certain they haven't come across any harmful materials I can't imagine they'd be bad for your beardie but I can't guarantee they're good without knowing the nutritional info.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The concern with wild or uncommon feeder insects is a bit more than just pesticide and other human treatments.

One being any natural chemical defenses they have - fireflies and other insects produce toxic and potentially fatal chemicals to avoid predation. I think some folks have reported illness from stink bugs etc too.

The other being of what they eat - if they consume potential toxins and how it's metabolsized. Many insects add the chemicals from plants to their defenses - which is why at not advised to feed wild hornworms for example.

I don't know much about weevils but without more research I personally wouldn't feed them.

So apparently they're safe for people to eat but I'm not sure about for beardies. They do feed off of pine trees and I'd worry about that. If you were gut-load them with something else, I'm sure a few nibbles won't cause any harm.

MamaTater

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My neighbor was taking houseplants out of their soil and found them. They haven't had any chemicals on them, not even fertilizer. Just a bunch of grubs feeding off roots of various plants, mainly the English Ivy. I went ahead and threw them out but may collect and gutload them the next time. Just free food that's something different. They aren't necessary but I had to ask :) I'm not fond of wild caught and wouldn't even consider except that they're definately chemical-free. I want to say that Ivy isn't edible, so I would probably shy away from those in the Ivy soil. She has a lot of edible plants tho like the marigolds. Thanks so much for replying!

I was always told even when breeding bugs from outside sources it can take a few generations for the pesticides and such to dissipate. Not sure how true that is but I wouldn't risk it.

MamaTater

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ooh, never thought of that. Might be a good idea. Does that mean bugs don't metabolize pesticides?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
So... I guess that would depend on what pesticides... after all many are intended to kill bugs. Some are targeted and won't kill all bugs. I've not heard to do this specifically form pesticides though I've heard of it as a 'good practice' when starting insect cultures from w/c, I'd be interested to read more.

Some other undesirable chemicals can build up in tissues or the exoskeleton, isopods for example, can accumulate heavy metals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom