Hornworms toxic if fed tomato plants?

This forum is for discussing topics of caring for and breeding feeders (crickets, roaches, etc.) for those interested in raising their own bearded dragon live feeders.

Hornworms toxic if fed tomato plants?

Postby cjzshartzer » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:00 pm

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

I am trying to raise hornworms and know thier diet but I came to a website that said that hornworms are toxic to reptiles of they eat tomato plants?!? I am growing organic tomato plants inside my home to insure they are insect and pesticide free. Would this be safe or is there something in the tomato plant that makes them toxic to beardies. NOTE: I have grown my plants from seeds so I know there are no pesticides. Any help is much appriciated! Thanks everyone and much love to bd.org
cjzshartzer
Hatchling Poster

Re: Hornworms toxic if fed tomato plants?

Postby Grixxly15 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:19 pm

The leaf of tomato's are poisonous to our bearded dragons. So if the horn worms consume the leaves they become toxic to our bearded dragons.
The Confederate flag in my Avatar; heritage, not hate.
Grixxly15
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby cjzshartzer » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:04 pm

I had no clue. So other than a tomato, what can a hornworm consume to obtain health at a low price and be safe for my dragons? Thanks for the reply. I really want to raise my own feeders and food so anything helps!
cjzshartzer
Hatchling Poster

Postby Jasper's Mom » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:51 pm

Hornworms that are to be fed to beardies have to eat the special hornworm chow that the worm sites sell. It's not really cheap, but it's more affordable if you buy the powder in bulk, freeze it, and then make small batches of the chow as you need it.
ImageImage
Together Forever
Jasper's Mom
BD.org Addict

Postby cjzshartzer » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:17 am

yeah, i considered buying the powder but wanted to find a food for the hornwoms that i can raise myself. hmm i guess i need more research. Thanks guys!
cjzshartzer
Hatchling Poster

Return to Feeders