Are worms a good everyday feeder for juveniles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

8Sky8

I have a bearded dragon named Citrus, about 2.5 months old. I’ve been feeding it crickets (about the size of the width between its eyes) but I don’t like them very much as they stink, jump and are amazing escape artists. It’s a hassle waking up at 5:30 and having time to get the cricketsit needs into its cage. I understand Dubaia roaches are great feeders but I’m pretty sure me and my family have been scarred from the non Dubai roaches that invaded our house a year or so ago. So, I was wondering if and what kind of worms I should feed Citrus. Are they a good everyday feeder including veggies and D3 powder? Is it enough to keep my little buddy strong and healthy? It would really help me out if I got some replies! Thanks! -Sky <3

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Phoenix worms are excellent, silk, horn worms are good also. Phoenix worms are high in calcium. Meal worms and super worms are not good to feed as they cause impaction especially in babies.

Scion19801

Hatchling Member
Sorry to say, but no super worms until the beardie is 14 inches long. Reason is harder to digest and impaction issues. I know you all had the non dubia roach issue. That sucks. But dubias are the best all around for feeding. They dont stink, escape, or make much noise. Easy to breed and raise a colony which is good on pocket $$ wise in the long term.

8Sky8

Original Poster
Scion19801":3b64zap4 said:
Sorry to say, but no super worms until the beardie is 14 inches long. Reason is harder to digest and impaction issues. I know you all had the non dubia roach issue. That sucks. But dubias are the best all around for feeding. They dont stink, escape, or make much noise. Easy to breed and raise a colony which is good on pocket $$ wise in the long term.

Thanks for the reply! When I said worms I more meant the non-shelled worms like silk worms. I agree that shelled works should not be fed to baby bearded dragons as they could cause compaction or discomfort. I will defiantly consider Dubias as they don’t jump or stink.

8Sky8

Original Poster
destiny1998":22vzipqg said:
Hi. Phoenix worms are excellent, silk, horn worms are good also. Phoenix worms are high in calcium. Meal worms and super worms are not good to feed as they cause impaction especially in babies.

I think if I do start worms as feeders I will use Phoenix worms. I’ve heard silk worms can be expensive and harder to care for. The fact that it has so much calcium also pushed me twords the Phoenix

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
8Sky8":2n7yi1wf said:
destiny1998":2n7yi1wf said:

I think if I do start worms as feeders I will use Phoenix worms. I’ve heard silk worms can be expensive and harder to care for. The fact that it has so much calcium also pushed me twords the Phoenix

You can easily become self sufficient with silkworms, even make some pocket money if you have surplus eggs or cocoons or worms.
Once you get a handle on their care , they are a breeze to "farm". My only costs are fresh mulberry leaves ( I buy these 200 - 400 at a time in season ) or silkworm chow for when I have no leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom