Best heat mat for my dubia roaches PLASTIC tub? link please:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the sideways pics....took them normally on my phone but they flipped x)

So I'm getting my first feeders soon!

(I'm not breeding...just ordering bulk and storing them since I only have 1 beardie and a colony would be overkill especially in a year when his diet flips from 80% protein 20% veggies to 80% veggies 20% protein)

I have their tub completely set up for small dubia roaches since my little draco is still only 8" long. All I need is a heat source now! I bought a zoo med heat mat off Amazon but it says not to use on plastic -.-....so I sent it back. The tub is 19" long and 14" wide on the bottom. ( yes I made the lid a little flashy with Diamond plating riveted to the plastic lid on top of the screen....but it's also sealed with silacone underneath so there's no escape chance at all ^^)

If anybody can please tell me the best heating mat/tape to use or post a link from amazon for me! Already have a thermostat, just need the heat source:)
81026-9844985157.jpg
81026-1658988949.jpg
81026-4317326727.jpg

I use a reptile heat mat. I have it stuck on a ceramic tile so that the tile touches the bin and not the pad. To check the temp I just put my digital thermometer to the tile. To allow ventilation I have the bin on the tile/heatmat combo and then all of that on top of an old baking wire rack.

Now if only my beardie would eat her roaches...

AllysonM

I used the ZooMed ones fine on a regular rubbermaid bin when I had my first roach colony. I had two of the ones made for 30-40 gallon tanks taped on the inside walls of the bin on either end. Also, make sure you don't lose too much heat or moisture through that vent in the lid.

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
I have a ZooMed UTH under my plastic Rubbermaid bin. So far, so good.

NatashaFatality":37klm0ul said:

My Smauggie does not seem to like her dubia either. Not sure what's going on. I actually ordered some crickets again ( :puke: ) which are coming today b/c she gobbled up the ones I gave her last week. She only eats 2 roaches a day, maybe 5 at most. She seems uninterested in them.

jenn4turtles":1vkvbin0 said:
I have a ZooMed UTH under my plastic Rubbermaid bin. So far, so good.

NatashaFatality":1vkvbin0 said:

My Smauggie does not seem to like her dubia either. Not sure what's going on. I actually ordered some crickets again ( :puke: ) which are coming today b/c she gobbled up the ones I gave her last week. She only eats 2 roaches a day, maybe 5 at most. She seems uninterested in them.

After some work, we got her to eat about 4 a day. It took patience. She is a stubborn little girl. I just need my young roaches to get bigger. Right now my colony has very few in between sized roaches.

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
NatashaFatality":313amjfw said:
After some work, we got her to eat about 4 a day. It took patience. She is a stubborn little girl. I just need my young roaches to get bigger. Right now my colony has very few in between sized roaches.

She used to eat more than that before her brumation in December. It's like she woke up and decided that she didn't eat them anymore. :roll: Literally, I put them in her tank, and she just looks at them, and then back at me, like ... :silent: Right now, all I have are the adults, so maybe she just doesn't like them? Once they start to breed, I'll try to get her to eat the younger ones.

Meanwhile, she's eaten about 40 crickets in less than 24 hours, and will probably eat more this afternoon. Maybe I should've ordered more than 1000 ...? :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom