how to make your own egg-laying-box-a-majiggy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kthxbai

i wondering how to make a egg laying box thingy but i has no clue how to go about it. i wish kezia could just use the substrate but that onlyl like 1cm deep becuase its uber expensive were i live. so i have a mega list of questions

1- how deep and how wide?(dimensions)

2- how close should it be to were she usually hangs out?

3- can i use regular soil or should i buy like play sand? dose it need more substrate ontop?

4- what to do with the eggs there not going to be fertile so can i just toss em out? and if i try and take them will she get defensive?

5- also will she go in it when its time to lay eggs?

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
1- how deep and how wide?
You want the substrate to be at least 9 inches deep for her to tunnel and dig into.
Width it varies on the dragon, it should be wide enough so she had plenty of space to turn around.
Alot of people tend to use those plastic storage boxes.

2- how close should it be to were she usually hangs out?
Oppinions on this vary.
Some say leave it by your dragon and she will go in when shes ready and some say to put your dragon in and leave her for a couple of days (monitoring temperatures). Id go with the later option. As soon as you see her start digging pop her in her box. She can do without UVB for a couple of days, you jsut need to make sure she stays warm.

3- can i use regular soil or should i buy like play sand? dose it need more substrate ontop?
You can use either. I used a mix of both.
Your substrate needs to be damp but not soaking so she can dig without it collapsing on her.
You want it to be "sandcastle making" consistancey.

4- what to do with the eggs there not going to be fertile so can i just toss em out? and if i try and take them will she get defensive?
Yes you can just dispose of the eggs.
She wont be defensive, they are not typically maternal.

5- also will she go in it when its time to lay eggs?
Not neccisarily.
Some dragons do, some dragons dont.
Personally I waited until Dex was furiously digging and put her in her box and left her in privacy.

Holly

kthxbai

Original Poster
ok do i don't need to have it in the tank with her? and i've got a old 20 gallon tank from when she was really tiny so can i fill that up to like 9 or 10 inches with soil and substrate on top and like keep it damp and when i see her digging around her cage pick her up and put her in it?

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
An old 20 gal is great.
Yup thats what I did.
Digging is your big flashing light thats telling you that your girl is starting to think about laying.
After begining digging some lay right away, some take 2-3 weeks before they feel comfortable enough to lay.
I would put her in the laybox after seeing her digging and leave her there for two days.
Give her a day in the viv or longer if she hasnt started to dig again, and repeat.

kthxbai

Original Poster
so really ill have to check the viv beucase i only usually see her on her rock and theres no sign of eggs in her i was just told i should have one made before hand incase i need it.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Just keep an eye on her.
Before she lays they usually drop their appetite and increase their activity.

Digging is your red flashing warning light that will tell you if she's going to lay or not.

rottnbull02

Hatchling Member
kthxbai were you told to do this even if you did not breed your female because no matter what she would lay eggs. The reason I ask is I have a female dragon that is about 1.5 years old. She digs like crazy and actually uprooted her entire cage last week! Moved everything around, and completely redid the sand. Her tummy is fat but I dont feel any eggs, and her appetite is out of this world. Should I try putting her in a egg laying box just to see what she does? Her tummy is not hard or lumpy at all though. Do they sometimes dig just to dig? Or is compulsive digging a sign that they want to lay? Could there be eggs even though I dont feel anything?

Thanks,
Stephanie

kthxbai

Original Poster
well I would have one in her viv just incase. Even if you don't breed her she can lay eggs. What I did was I went to kent and got pete moss because it retains it's moisture also make sure there's NO FERTILIZER in it. Then just dump it a box with the side cut out of it and slope it up(it shoulld be 9 inch deep) to make it resemble a bank spray it with water and wait shell find it when she's ready.

Good luck and I hoped this helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom