Custom Cage and Terrarium Background

Status
Not open for further replies.

7UpBeardie

Hello!! I wanted to share our custom cage and background we made for our bearded dragon. We wanted something different from the usual glass tank so we decided to make a custom enclosure instead. Below are some pictures of the cage and my process for the fake rock background. I hope everyone enjoys this and i'll definitely be positing more of my DIY backgrounds as I make them.

This is the cage fully built. The cage size is 36x16x22. We decided to make a custom cage to match the decor of our home since we're displaying this in our living room. We didn't want the cage doors to be the sliding glass door type since we have a 3 year old toddler so we decided to make the door open from the top. We also didn't want the lights to show through the window so we made the top of the cage a bit larger to hide the lights. This is the cage after it was completed and we wanted to see how it would look inside. We loved it but wanted the stain to be a bit darker to match the stand it was on so we added a few more coats. This is before we added more coats.

This is after we added the other coats and loved the darker look. Sorry for the horrible lighting as I took this pic late at night and don't mind the branch and thermometers inside. I just set up the lights to test them out and placed them in there to check on the temperatures later on that night.
IMG_4891_zpstxoy7hvs.jpg
[/

After the cage was complete, I started our custom fake rock wall. the walls and holes for the vents so I knew what I could work with. This is after I cut the foam to the cage wall sizes.
IMG_4831_zpswj9furgl.jpg
[/URL]

The next few pictures is the process of creating the basking and hide areas. I didn't really have a theme but I knew I wanted everything to look like rocks. I started cutting and adding pieces until I liked the look of it.
IMG_4834_zps0aixdmw9.jpg

IMG_4835_zpsz4xkkgsa.jpg

IMG_4844_zpsvntqwwvi.jpg

After I created the basking and hide area's where I wanted, I placed the background in the cage to see how it was looking so far.
IMG_4860_zpsvhcwbjom.jpg

IMG_4862_zpsceqgdvld.jpg

IMG_4863_zpsxgpaf2ii.jpg

Next, I drew out the rocks. I didn't have an actual plan for this and just started drawing "rock like" shapes. After the shapes were all drawn, I started carving out the rock shapes.
IMG_4864_zpsrugxar85.jpg

IMG_4865_zpsrtbk6rab.jpg

IMG_4866_zpsmgwerioi.jpg

IMG_4867_zpswlojc4fx.jpg

IMG_4868_zps9v1wb9se.jpg

IMG_4869_zpsuml6cam7.jpg

Now that the rock shapes were all cut, it was time to grout! This was a process because I added about 4 coats of grout so that everything was nice and strong.
IMG_4873_zpsev147mjj.jpg

IMG_4872_zps4h6iha5q.jpg

After the grout fully dried, it was time to paint!! :D
IMG_4909_zpsedf4uafr.jpg
IMG_4910_zps7ukyumyv.jpg
IMG_4911_zpsybioznku.jpg
IMG_4912_zpsvb4injch.jpg
IMG_4913_zpsx5nt9kvq.jpg

IMG_4914_zpsuk2cpokb.jpg

IMG_4917_zpsw9buf9u5.jpg

Side by side of the before and after grout, paint and mod podge.
IMG_4923_zpskxjvacg3.jpg

Completed background inside the cage.
IMG_4919_zpsn3h9axle.jpg

Fully complete!! My dragon loves it! You can see him on the bottom left. :D
IMG_5202_zpsumzqb5no.jpg

More pictures of my dragon, 7-Up, just cause. :D
IMG_4920_zpstrglcv0k.jpg
IMG_4926_zpspjrv0axe.jpg
IMG_4940_zpswgjph4po.jpg
IMG_5192_zpspqubdvih.jpg
IMG_5198_zpsqlzlb2mk.jpg
IMG_5199_zps7tefcjyd.jpg

I hope everyone enjoyed the pictures and let me know what you think. Thanks!!

im assuming since you layerd the foam with grout.... you don't have to worry about the dragons nails scraping or carving out little chunks of foam out and eating them on accident? Also since they like to lick the environment what kind of paint did you use I would be scared to use something and turn out toxic for mine :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom