4x2x2 viv build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spunky

We are building one the crossfire vivs with a fake rock. We got started today and hope to finish before thanksgiving. Hope is the key word. A lot depends on how many layers of paint and poly are needed for the viv and how long the grout takes to dry in between layers too.

Day 1:
30566856910_1e30094d9e_k.jpg

We used cheap plywood ($44 total) so we will sand it down before painting the outside black and the inside blue. The rails are cut and tomorrow we hope to start the sanding and cut the plexi glass. Maybe we will even get to painting this weekend!

I might even update tonight with a final carve of the fake rock if my kids actually go to bed. I have a 2yo, so you know, it not likely :wink: :lol:

Spunky

Original Poster
Day 2: sanded

Day 3: mostly finished the fake rock. Once it was in I realized that he was visually too big and had to tone it down. This structure has changed so many time the I almost don't want to grout because I might want to change something again! lol

30913149965_aecec1f7ca_k.jpg

With my ideas drawn in. The black things are the bulbs and a water dripping unit. I want to have some leaved plants of various sizes, some grass and some vines. I know it is not very desert like, but I like it.
30280302293_6b1fe5334a_b.jpg

here is looking into the viv from different angles
on the left side looking right
30282250424_5df19183aa_k.jpg

right side looking under basking spot into the back entrance of the cave
30280604683_b262c715e1_k.jpg

looking into cave towards back entrance
30282209564_d3c90d12c7_k.jpg

the pond
30880560926_c6b244a854_k.jpg

Day 4:
Tonight I will paint the inside blue with the exception of the back wall you can see under the rock area. That will be a dark grey to hopefully look like more rock. The outside will be black. I have a few touch ups to do then start grouting the fake rock tonight too if time.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Looks great!
I'd suggest at least dry fitting your lights before you comit to grouting your basking rock (awesome by the way). The lamps +safe distance take a surprising amount of space.

Spunky

Original Poster
thanks!

I can't dry fit at the moment because the first grout layer is on, but I did double check the bulb and basking hight and it gives me 8" clearance. I think I might need to make a mount for the UVB light to make it lower.

The blue is not showing up in pics very well. It is a muted, dusty blue. No trace of purple. It goes well with grey grout and the brown tile. It is leftover from our basement bathroom.
25289430239_42742ddea7_k.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a good point. I like the basking bulb at least 12'' up from the basking area and a T5 UVB should be about 12'' as well. A T8 can go as close as 6'' no more than about 8'' but the lighting is really a key factor.

Spunky

Original Poster
12"? Is that just your preference or what is recommended? I thought it was the 6-8" min too but it would not be the first time I missed a bit of info.

Spunky

Original Poster
day 5: I painted tonight. We don't have great lighting at night so I think I will have to go over it in the morning. I am pretty happy with how it is looking so far. The big rock however, is not going so well. It broke in a couple places and I hope I saved it. I'll keep working on it tomorrow. I also need to work on the inside of the rock cave. Then I'll have to seal it.

Rock cave (the books were holding an awkwardly placed re-glued spot down on the big rock.)
30911871366_ca80893347_c.jpg

Rock pond before and after
30911871576_0e213dbabb_c.jpg

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Spunky":213iddgv said:
12"? Is that just your preference or what is recommended? I thought it was the 6-8" min too but it would not be the first time I missed a bit of info.
Depends on the light you use, T5 are much stronger and need to be further away.

If you are talking about the basking lamps, its really hard to get a nice basking zone that close (the warm spot should be the same size as the lizard at minimum). Its also close enough an intrepid lizard could jump on the hot bulb and burn themselves.

Spunky

Original Poster
the UVB is a T8.This lighting thing is trick. The tallest bulb needs to be the furthest away and the shortest height bulb needs to be the closest. :banghead:

For basking, I was thinking that it would be hard to get an even temp and was planning on having 2 lower watt bulbs over the spot. Thankfully, I have a shorter spot that can be the basking spot if needed. I have only been able to find a 100 watt 3000K bulb, not a 150w, so I don't know if I can get the temp high enough, but can keep looking if need too.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The lighting distances are my opinion based on research and testing. I like to have the basking area sit between about 3-6UVI and a gradient down to shade/no UVB across the tank. This is based on UVI readings in Australia in mid morning and late afternoon when they are known to be most active and basking. A T8 bulb with a reflector will produce around 3 UVI at about 6'' and a T5 will produce about 4-5 UVI at 12''. This depends on the bulb and reflector though. Taterbug put together a great chart with the outputs from different lights which may be helpful to you. https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides

The height of the basking light (I prefer at least 12'', mine sits at about 25'' up) is due partly to the danger of being able to reach a very hot object and party due to the beam of the bulb. I like to provide a nice wide basking area (at least the length of your dragon) so they can bask their entire body evenly. That is also why I like to use the tube style UVB - nice wide beam produced for even basking. If the bulb is too close then the beam may not be able to produce a wide enough beam of bright light and appropriate heat for basking. This depends on the type of bulb you're using however.

Spunky

Original Poster
Well, this info makes the fact that my wonderful main piece, the basking rock, has fallen apart, a little easier to handle. I won't get into details but its a combo of liquid glue sucking, heavy stair piece not properly supported and me getting mad. The basking rock is now just under 16" from the ceiling. It is also the cave. I assume it would be pretty hot under there. She does not use a cave currently, but might make a temp one on the cool side while she is small and if she ends up using one, I'll come up with a better solution for a bigger one.

Oh and I apparently forgot what was what and have a t5 :oops: (reptisun 10). The one question I do have right now is about the UVB and gradient concept. I had read it should cover at least 2/3 of the enclosure. I currently have a 24" in her 20l. I was going to upgrade to the 48" (no cheap 36" options here) but would it be best to stick with the 24" over the basking area? (with the basking bulb). Would doing a gradient mean not having another bulb on the cool side (on a dimmer) to help control temp? Should all the light mainly be around the basking area?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Spunky":2rsso25u said:
Well, this info makes the fact that my wonderful main piece, the basking rock, has fallen apart, a little easier to handle. I won't get into details but its a combo of liquid glue sucking, heavy stair piece not properly supported and me getting mad. The basking rock is now just under 16" from the ceiling. It is also the cave. I assume it would be pretty hot under there. She does not use a cave currently, but might make a temp one on the cool side while she is small and if she ends up using one, I'll come up with a better solution for a bigger one.
What a bummer =\ hopefully you can salvage it in a way that works out. Since you are using polystyrene it might be warm but not nearly as much so as if you were using something like stone or wood. Polystyrene is a great insulator.

[/quote]
Oh and I apparently forgot what was what and have a t5 :oops: (reptisun 10). The one question I do have right now is about the UVB and gradient concept. I had read it should cover at least 2/3 of the enclosure. I currently have a 24" in her 20l. I was going to upgrade to the 48" (no cheap 36" options here) but would it be best to stick with the 24" over the basking area? (with the basking bulb). Would doing a gradient mean not having another bulb on the cool side (on a dimmer) to help control temp? Should all the light mainly be around the basking area?[/quote]
i would stick with a 22" T5, they are strong lamps. The 2/3+ advice is for older lights to ensure an average dose of UV, since they are closer to shaded levels of UV.
A gradient means you want the hottest, brightest and most UV intense zone to one side, and the other side to be cooler with less UV, though it doesn't need to be darker. Its also good to offer parts of the warm side that are less exposed to UV or heat so the dragon can choose. basically - making as many options as possible will give you dragon the best environment to choose how they want to expose themselves.

Spunky

Original Poster
The coloring is off because I had to touch up some of the grout on the two mostly finished ones.
25356954379_28260ae301.jpg

the odd brown things are the two apple wood branches already in her tank. I don't know what plants I am using yet. I won't get to the craft store until after thanksgiving either. :/ I do know I want some grass like ones and some with leaves. I want tall ones in the back right and a tall one in the middle back. Some medium and/or smaller ones around the branches I thought would help with giving some shade. I'm just not sure about how much room the pot/base would take up. Once again when dreaming up a plan my head still goes to how I do aquascapes. I do live plants and can plant right into the substrate.
30876162762_08fde5b37e.jpg

Thanks for all the lighting tips!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom