T8vsT5

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielt7

Is there really much of a difference? Probably a stupid question seeing as how the T5 is High Output. Is this a newer product or something? I bought a reptisun 10.0 T5 HO With the hood it goes in. Trying to think of a clever way to mount it. I know the 8 inch rule. But what is better? Mounting it directly above adjacent to basking light?, but not blocked by the basking lights dome fixture. Or on the back wall of the enclosure?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
There is a huge difference.

The T5 are about 3x as strong and should be placed further away, about 12" -14" if you aren't using screen. You can also use it outside of screen. Additionally uvb lights should not be mounted on the wall - you don't want any lights set so the dragon routinely looks into them. Think about how things are in the wild - heat and light and uvb all come from the sun overhead.

This chart may help you see the difference in output. High means the 10.0 or 12% "desert" bulbs, low means the 5.0 or 6% tropical bulbs.

danielt7

Original Poster
DUDE! You're awesome! I appreciate the valuable information!
One question. If 10.0 is High Output, and 5.0 is Low Output. Then why isn't the Reptisun 10.0 T8 called a 5.0?
Also, I will definitely mount it overhead!
Again thankyou.
Can't wait til I'm finished so I can buy a beardie!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
danielt7":1timhsyy said:
DUDE! You're awesome! I appreciate the valuable information!
One question. If 10.0 is High Output, and 5.0 is Low Output. Then why isn't the Reptisun 10.0 T8 called a 5.0?
Also, I will definitely mount it overhead!
Again thankyou.
Can't wait til I'm finished so I can buy a beardie!

The 5.0 and 10.0 are referring to the percentage of emissions that are within the UVB band. So the 10.0 is roughly 10% of the total output brin uvb (the rest is visible, some IR and some UVA etc). The T5 HO is a higher total output.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I forgot to mention, more isn't always better. For beardies staying below 7 UVI is important - this is the upper limit of their wild basking behavior and also they only utilize this for short times. I go for around 5 in my enclosure at the basking area and only for 1/2 the cages I that there are areas of low or no uvb fornhim to choose from.

danielt7

Original Poster
Ahh I see. my basking area will allow him to get no closer than 12.5 inches. And he can move around until he's in a comfortable spot. So hopefully that's good enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom