Newbie, wanting to build a VIV, help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blankenship24

Hatchling Member
Hello,

So I've been researching cages and 40g tanks and I am just not liking them all that much. I thought maybe I would try and build one for a beardie (I don't have one yet :) )

So the dimensions I was thinking are, 4 feet wide by 2 feet deep by 18 inches tall.
I was thinking, wood sides except for the front which will be sliding glass, and then the top I was thinking of a screen (but not sure)

Does this sound like something that will work?

I have MDF board in my garage, but I don't really want to use that because of toxins. I was thinking Plywood from home depot / lowes.

Does the top need to be solid? or Can a screen work?
I have a jigsaw that I can use to cut out spots for lights and stuff. I just wanted to make it as easy as possible, and thought maybe the screen would be okay.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, JB

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Have you seen the "crossfire" plans? They are for a 4x2x2. May as well use the whole 4x8 sheet and get the extra ~6 inches. http://beardies.dreamwidth.org/2145.html

For the screen, it's a matter of preference. If you can keep the heat up properly (more heat is lost out a screen top than a solid) and as long as it's ventalated some how it will be fine.

If you cut a hole for the basking light to be outside the cage, and leave the rest of the solid top then you have a good place to mount the uvb.

Personally I like solid tops, I use my cages as stands for other cages or have stuff displayed ontop. This is my 4x2x2 built with the crossfire plans.
f9cfe587fddb7b4e18071cd8cca5102a_zpsb2508aee.jpg

Blankenship24

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks tater. That's pretty awesome. If i didn't want to use Melamine wood. Is there any types of wood I should stay away from?

Thanks.

Thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to build a new vivarium. The ones in store are super expensive & don't look as good has the wood ones.
I just don't have the right tools.
Lol :p

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Godzilla82":33cy5g0b said:
Tater What are you using for your basking bulb?

Thanks jeff

In that picture I think it was a incandecent globe. I also had sucesss with halogen globes in that tank.

Im in the process in making a new home for my Godzilla
Just can't keep the heat right in the home made one that he came in.. I have a feel basking areas I have a 24" reptisun 10 tube and 125w powersun blasking bulb along with 100 reptisun 100w red heat bulb. He likes to basking at both please is it find that he basking under the red one? The pics with the brick caves is how I have it set up now.

79983-8655474814.jpg
79983-5918237069.jpg
79983-5870039188.jpg

I'm thinking about building a crossfire cause I'm done messing with What he came him. I have don't What to use as blasking bulb or a heat bulb for a crossfire.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I think that was a 100 or 150w incandecent. I have gone thru so many bulbs I can't remeber for sure.

Is the crossfire a good one to build? I see alot of people using it. I'm new to this so bare with me and all the? I just want to make my Godzilla Happy and warm . He has been stress out for 3 weeks now. But Love to be held and cuddly lol. I thought about just getting a 40gal for now but don't won't to waste money but he can't stay in What he's in now it's just not working my cooler side is down in the 70 with my basking. Anywhere from 95 to 110 . He like to lay at different Ares on the log does he need light on all of the log the heat is good but the light doesn't get on him when he lays a different places.

Ofthelime

Hatchling Member
Your idea would work very well. It about mimics my build. I will say though that I have to cover the mesh in the winter. I also have tiles that are grouted and my beardie tries to eat said grout. Hope I helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom