Building a vivarium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReptile838

Hatchling Member
Hi, so my Bearded Dragon Mojo is 7 months old and is in a 3ft by 2ft second hand vivarium which is perfect for her right now, but she is growing looooaaads, so I reckon that I need to start soon.
So I'll either go 4ft or 5ft, but I have a few questions.

What wood is best?
What materials and tools do you think I would need?
Where do you think is the best place to get this stuff from in England? (As in what shop; B&Q, Wickes, Homebase etc...)
Overall, how do you think it should be done?

With my second hand one I painted it white on the outside (with non toxic stuff), I planning to do the same with this one =P

Also, if you have any pics of your own DIYs, feel free to share them so I can see what you have done =)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I have heard "B&Q" and homebase more on the UK forums, but that may not mean much (I'm in the us so no clue about stores)

Easiest to use will be plywood or melamine. We used 3/4" top grade plywood, but you can use others I'm sure too. Seal the inside with an epoxy or polycrylic. The inside/outside is fine to paint but sleaziness it will help the wood last longer and the paint not scratch off. Aquarium or 100% silicone to seal up the corners is good too. You'll want at least a week or so to let it all set up and any fumes to dissipate.

We used a jig saw, circular saw, miter saw and drill. You could get by with just a circular saw and drill (with hole saw blade for vents) if you plan to use the round vents or just screen.

If you have the space bigger is better. if it were to do it again I'd go 3' tall instead of 2' and maybe 5' long instead of 4. That said - 4x2x2 is simple to make out of one sheet of plywood or melamine with a few extra board for the front.

We followed the crossfire plans. http://beardies.dreamwidth.org/2145.html But there are plenty of ways to go about it.

This is my cage first pic is the more traditional setup I used for Tater and while Pepper was little. Second is the current setup.

TheReptile838

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Cool, thanks for the answer. Those vivariums look amazing! Well done on them =P I'm not sure if I'll be buying or building yet, but building it will be fun.
Thanks for the help :)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
TheReptile838":1o05ulor said:
Cool, thanks for the answer. Those vivariums look amazing! Well done on them =P I'm not sure if I'll be buying or building yet, but building it will be fun.
Thanks for the help :)

If you buy pvc is also a great option. To easy to clean and very light weight. Wood and melamine are both very heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom