Coccidia second time around!!! (Please help!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I actually just have a couple questions my bearded dragon is almost 7 months about 120g his name is Zeus and I just took him back for his fecal and he came back positive again for coccidiosis. I used albon last time for 21 days and he stopped eating no appetite at all had to give him baby food. A week after I finished he got his appetite back with the help of some soy yogurt now they told me to do it again but it scares me with him not eating again. He's finally warring more then ever and I don't want to keep messing up his track. I heard that toltrazuril was a nice replacement instead of albon? Heard it's really harsh on their bodies and from experience it really was. I prefer bec-a-bac yesterday and should be here soon just opinions on other meds then albon?
Thanks!

Taylorkay3

Original Poster
I lied I bought reptophilius from bug-de-lite the asphidophiliz was no longer on the site? But it said this was a better replacement so I ordered this probiotic instead?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Taylor....glad that your dragon began eating again. It's true, Albon is harsh and really should not be prescribed for such a long time. Give your beardie a break, let him gain back a good appetite + put some weight on. Then after a while you can see if the vet will put him on toltrazuril. In some cases it works in a few days. But for sure give him a break , let him eat + be stress free for now.

Taylorkay3

Original Poster
It's been two and half weeks since his first treatment he was 94g and in the two weeks he gained weight and is now 120g so it's been almost three weeks I ordered the other meds online so hopefully it will be better. Yah he's been eating so well, almost 15-20 roaches every eating.

Taylorkay3

Original Poster
Have you heard or have any opinions on toltrazuril for coccidiosis? I've read a lot on it but just more opinions would be nice!!!

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
It is marketed by Bayer as Baycox and it is much better. It is given, in my case, three days on, break for two weeks, then another three day round. If I am not mistaken albon is a member of the sulfa family and there has been anecdotal correlation between its use and YF in bearded dragons. So I would stay away, just in case.

Taylorkay3

Original Poster
Okay yeah he was on albon for 21 days and has been off for almost a month I took his fecal last Tuesday and the nurse told me he still had it present but did not tell me how many? He is still gaining weight eating perfectly more veggies then ever! So I should use the meds and stay away from the albon. I got him reptophilius? From bug de lite so I will give him the probiotics while on the toltrazuril. U said three days on. Two weeks off then another three days?

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
You will need to calculate the correct dosage based on weight and strength of medicine. Maybe Tracie could help with that.

Are you sure you need to treat again? As long as the coccidia count is not high and the dragon is thriving, seems to be since he is gaining weight, you may not need to treat. I would ask the doctor"s office for the exact count seen on the follow-up fecal exam and if that count represents a small count, moderate count, or high count. If it is a small to moderate count you may want to hold off.

Taylorkay3

Original Poster
Okay yah my doctor told me to medicate so I didn't even ask, can you enlighten me on what is a small to medium to overloading amounts of coccidia. I know he's showing no signs except sometimes when we play out of his cage he will gApe for a second or two.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
Are you coordinating the toltrazuril treatment with your vet?

I'm not sure what amount constitutes a small, medium, heavy amount. I just know my vet doesn't treat repeatedly unless he deems it to be an unacceptable level. I think you should get more clarification from your vet besides just being told it is "present." Talk to the vet and explain your concerns.

I think ADHD advised giving your dragon a break before resuming treatment and that may be a good idea. Coccidia levels can get out of hand from the dragon being stressed which can affect the immune system's ability to naturally keep the coccidia level in check.

Things to consider or talk to your vet about are:

1. Is the level high enough to warrant a repeat treatment or can you wait a couple of weeks and recheck the fecal to see if the levels are down?

2. If a second treatment is needed you would like to use tontrazuril instead of a drug in the sulfa family. Ask vet for the recommendation on dosage and duration.

3. Is the vet's goal to eradicate coccidia or bring it down to an acceptable level?

Your vet should be willing to work with you and explain his treatment protocol and address your concerns.

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
What did you decide to do for your dragon with the coccidia? Hopefully if you treated you went with the Toltrazuril,,,and make sure you give probiotics 4 -6 hours before or after the medicine.

Taylorkay3

Original Poster
I did, I went with the toltrazuril once for two days and then I'm going to fecal this week, I gave the anti biotic in the morning and probiotic at dinner time. He's still doing good has not showed any signs of coccidia at all so I feel he's pretty damn healthy then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom