disease transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

sajane

I have just gotten my first beardie and as I was leaving the petshop with him, they gave me a paper on illnesses I could catch. one of those is a mycobacterial lung disease which I actually have and most likely caught from my planted gecko and frog terrariums. Its called mycobacterium abscessus and is a very serious, non curable lung disease that immunocompromised people get. I have lost some of my hearing using iv antibiotics trying to control the progression . So now I am afraid to let this new dragon out to run about and get germs everywhere mostly because of my small grandkids. How common is it to get salmonilla etc?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....I'm sorry that you have this disease. it's nothing I've ever heard of. There's always a chance of disease transmission, but much higher if you are immuno suppressed like you are. Younger children who's immune system aren't fully developed and children who might not be careful with hand washing are more at risk as well. Just curious, aren't you worried for your own safety since you are already battling this lung problem ?

sajane

Original Poster
Well..yes. i didnt think of it til they handed me the paper ...and my lung disease was listed there . I have never been immunocompromised so the docs where not sure where or how it got it. It is in the environment. But when i received the disease info at the petshop .it made sense. So now i just wonder how common it is to catch something ...has anyone here caught anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom