Is Yellow Fungus Curable or Just Treatable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawaro

I am looking for advice from those that have dealt with yellow fungus.

I have a group of 4 juveniles that were purchased from a reputable dealer that have come down with yellow fungus. We have had them for 8 weeks now. About a week after we got them one of them developed a dark spot on her back that we thought was due to a bad shed. We were doctoring it daily with neosporin. About two weeks ago we started noticing spots on the others. At this point we made a trip to a vet and he confirmed that it was in fact yellow fungus.

They are now getting daily bathes with Nolvasan to remove the yellow crust and then treated with silver sulfadiazine cream. In addition they are getting daily doses of the oral anti-fungal Voriconazole. The vet said the treatment is going to take 30-45 days.

This weekend at a reptile show I had several breeders tell me that there is no cure for the fungus. That no matter what we do it will come back. One even recommended euthanizing all of them...

So my question is, what have those of you that have dealt with yellow fungus experienced? Does it return? Or is this just a matter of uneducated or overly cautious breeders?

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
I just had to put my girl down yesterday because of yellow fungus. There is no cure for it, it can be control, but most of the time its just a matter of time before they die or have to be put down. I rescued my girl last year, and didn't know she had fungus, it was on her head and it was dark brown/black color. Once her foot turned yellow I got her in, put her on meds and all the stuff happened. I had been fighting it for months, and then she got 3 RI's which need anti biotics which makes the fungus worse. She ended up getting septic arthritis and after it came and went 4 different times, and she couldn't walk on her front leg, I took her in and decided to put her down, she was in so much pain and it would have came back for good and if she couldn't walk on any legs, it would have been really bad. I didn't want her to suffer and it was the hardest thing to do. Good luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom