Appetite quadrupled w/ Albon treatment?? Normal??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
I was wondering if anyone had experience w/ Albon?? Omni has been on it for 5 days now and her appetite has quadrupled already. Is she feeling better that quick (does it work that quickly)?? Also, is it because of the meds (Panacur too) that her poop has totally changed- it's like a strip instead of a lump. I'm not sure what to think, I'm just hoping for the best.... Does anyone know on average how long/how many doses that the coccidia would be gone?? I have to do weekly fecals @ the vet until they see none, should I expect it to be a long while or...???

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
Mem was diagnosed with Coccidia and was given Albon for 5 days. By the end of it he seemed to be a much happier beardie and was completely Coccidia free. I gave him probiotics while he was on it to replenish the good gut flora, but his appetite fell off some while he was on it, after he was off though, he started eating more than he ever had. His poo has always come out in a strip, it was only while he had Coccidia that it came out in a diarrhea type clump.

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks Linzie.... I want more than anything to get rid of the coccidia, do you know if it takes anything off their life span to be that sick????........

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
I wouldn't imagine, Coccidia and Pinworms are farely common in bearded dragons. Be sure to super clean his viv and if you can avoid letting him poo in it that would be helpful. Mem would go in his viv twice a day, so I had to get up early in the AM and put him in water then as as soon as I got home in the evening I'd put him in water again to avoid him going in his viv. I cleaned mine with ammonia, rinse VERY, VERY well after, and threw anything wood that he had in there away. I ammonia cleaned all of his furniture and left it out until he was done with the treatment and got a negative fecal result. I hand made a hide and basking furniture out of boxes and put papertowels down as substrate that I changed daily. I'm sure you do not have to go to this extreme to get rid of it, I just wanted to be sure he didn't have to go through the antibiotics again, as he is only 4 months old and they are harsh on his system. Albon does dehydrate them a good bit, so I bathed him in 1 part Pedialyte 3 parts water once daily for the course of his treatment, he has never drank as much as he did during this time. Be sure you're giving him a probiotic. I used Bene-bac which Mem didn't like at all, so I put some on the back of a wax worm to get him to take it.

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you for the tips, I'm cleaning the viv fully at least once a day and she's living on paper furniture right now until I get a clean fecal, also bathing every afternoon. She just passed the 3 month mark and is only 17 grams so of course I was worried when the vet said it was the worst case he's ever encountered and he wouldn't promise anything. I can't wait for it to be gone so she can have a real log to bask on and climb, right now the vet said to put in maple saplings and change out every other day. I'll go Friday to take another sample in and I'm hoping for 1/2 way decent news....

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
yes, she is tiny... her fecal was run on friday and they said that it wasn't really changed and asked if i was doing all the cleaning involved and giving her the meds. itold them of course and they just reassured me that sometimes it just takes a while to get rid of t he coccidia when it's that severe. i've been told to do the albon every other day until i get a negative fecal, i'm not sure what to expect, but have a terrible feeling that it'll take a while to get rid of this problem, it's very frustrating.......

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi Rango!! Thanks for asking. Omni is doing a lot better, she's eating regularly and staying hydrated. I haven't taken a sample to the vet for over 2 weeks (the cost is slowly building w/ every fecal and is a 1 hr. round trip so hard to fit into my day), but the last time they did a fecal they said the coccidia was 35% gone so am anticipating a better outcome today or tomorrow when I take in another sample. My 8 yr. old son does a great job of keeping her calm and opening her mouth (my hubby declares it is my/the kids pet & leaves too early to help out anyway) so giving the medicine is a lot less stressful after doing it for over a month now. Have your dragons ever had coccidia, if so how long did it take to run its course? My vet was disgusted when they did the initial testing and told me he's never seen a case as severe and was surprised she was acting 1/2 way normal. I did get my vet bills reimbursed by the place I got her, they could of cared less. When I went in there to get my $ they still had the entire remaining clutch on the floor to sell. Needless to say, I will never visit that place again. I've actually found a couple smaller scale stores to get my supplies (much like the one where I got Omni) and have been trying to get mail order crickets because they go so fast. It's funny how attached you get, I've only had her for 6 weeks and am so glad I decided to give her a home. I wish I'd gotten one sooner.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom