Coccidia..... :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prouddragonmama

Juvie Member
Our 2 months yesterday and we get diagnosed with that crap! :( so here's the questions :study:
I ordered acidophiliz won't be here for a few days :(. I also read u should b giving pedilight if hes not eating, but his eating is fine no change still a ravanous beast :mrgreen: so does he need pedilightm? I can't imagin it would hurt! And killing this cocci is the most frustrating thing ever!!!!! So cleaned everything in bleach yesterday and baking it now. Will that work? He only has his fav bask grape vine in viv, but how can I keep that sanitary? Everytime he poos a tiny bit gets on it! And stress isn't that what started this? How can I expect his stress level to be down when I took his home all apart! Been getting major stink eye! And when I just took out his bask to clean he was freaking out running slamming into glass! Not to mention the med is stressing him out. Sorry to rant just feel so helpless not only is the vet u went to a quack an expensive quack! And yes I am looking for another lol!! :banghead: Oh oh oh guessing the shelf liner needs to go! Back to paper towels lol

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
A 10% bleach solution will not kill coccidia. Baking however will, depending on the temperature and length of time. For Coccidia, you'll want to use a 10% ammonia solution, and let sit for 15-30 minutes. Then rinse very very well. I should note that mixing ammonia and bleach will result in toxic fumes, so if there is any bleach on the item, rinse it off before hand.
Quaternary Ammonium Compounds, or QUATS, will also kill Coccidia. These are available under a variety of brand names, however the most recognizable to the reptile crowd will be ZooMeds Wipeout 1. Roccal D is also a big brand name used commonly in the meat packing and veterinary industries (3M Quat, Triad, Parvosol, Hitor, Omega, are some others). Another option is an old school disinfectant known as Jeyes fluid. It is ammonia based, and is probably the most effective chemical disinfectant against Coccidia. Requires THOROUGH rinsing however, and it has harsh fumes. Will just about kill everything however.
Steam can also kill coccidia if its over 180 degrees, as will boiling for 20 minutes.

Prouddragonmama

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you! I have a question, I have been using wipe out in the cage after every poo 2x a day and he only has his 1 bask branch in so that I have been doing the amonia h20 soak and baking 1x aday how long should I do this?

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Are you using Wipe Out when the dragon is in the tank? If so, please remove the animal during disinfection, as Wipe Out has some harsh fumes. As for when to stop, it depends on when the fecal's come back clean. Coccidia Oocysts can be dormant for months, so its important to make sure everything is nice and clean to prevent reinfection of coccidia. On a hard surface, coccidia doesn't last nearly as long as it would in soil, so I'd say once the fecals come back clean you can probably stop the cleaning regimen. Maybe give it another week after to be sure.

Prouddragonmama

Juvie Member
Original Poster
No he's not in there when I clean! And after the wipe out I wipe down with boiling water to make sure that it's fume free :mrgreen: ok thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom