Pinworms and Coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearide has been treated for pinworms and coccidia recently. I took him for a follow up a few weeks ago and also had another fecal done. It came back saying both were still there. I am aware that low levels of either aren't the worst thing in the world. The vet said that as long as he's eating, active, and his stool isn't runny that I should just keep an eye on things for now. I did some research and read about panacur and Reptaid. Bulmers has been eating very enthusiastically every day. He eats his greens sprinkled with Acidophilliz almost every day. On the occasional day where he doesn't, it goes to the crickets. During that last vet visit, I expressed a concern that he seems lethargic at times and sometimes doesn't come out of his hide until 3 or 4 hours after lights on. This would usually be after no poop for three days. He's in a 20 long, and we're getting a much bigger one this week. He said that Bulmers most likely goes a few days without pooping because he outgrew his tank and having room to move around helps move things along. I now give him time to run around his room every day, which almost always makes him poop. Other than that, he's very alert and perks up anywhere but his tank. In fact, he does wind sprints in the giant family room. Overall, the vet was very impressed with his weight, socialization, and personality. He just said to keep an eye on the parasite issue. I ordered Reptaid and plan to dose two or three days to start each month for general overall well being. Sorry this has gotten long winded, but the more info the better. My question is whether or not I should do 10 on, 3 off, 10 on treatment of Reptaid. Again, his poop seems fine to me most of the time, with the occasional bit of runniness and bad smell. I am going away for a few days, and don't want to burden the caretaker with having to give medicine. Should I do Reptaid when I get back or call the vet for some Panacur?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did the vet tell you what the levels were of the coccidia & the pinworms?
If he is eating well, active & doesn't appear to be lethargic then I would wait on medicating him. Sometimes if you medicate them & they really do not need it, that can make things worse & it will mess up their systems.
How old is he?
Are you using a UVB light & if so, what type & brand do you use? A fluorescent tube bulb or a compact/coil light?
What are the temperatures in the tank, & what type of thermometer do you use?

Tracie

1537PaperStreet

Original Poster
between 95 and 110. reptisun 10.0 tube. he's about 7 months. never had any issues aside from this. yesterday he ate greens and no crix, which was the first or second time that's ever happened. he glass danced and kept trying to jump. i guess that was his way of telling me to get the crickets out of his house??? today he ate. hasn't pooped since monday, but he's done this a few times before. vet said he didn't feel anything that could potentially block him up. wasn't told the exact count...just to monitor things since he was otherwise fine.

I am going away tomorrow until thursday evening and my girlfriend's dad is watching him. He knows how to feed him, soak him, etc. I was just hoping he would poop so my g/f's dad didnt have to sit in a room with him as he runs around. Gonna start Reptaid when I get back.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things with your dragon today?
Did you start the Reptaid yet, or no? I hope his appetite is still doing well right now & that he is active & basking.
Let us know how he is doing.
That was nice your girlfriend's dad helped watch him while you were gone.

Tracie

1537PaperStreet

Original Poster
Just got home today. He pooped on Friday a few hours after we left, but nothing since. He's eating, but pacing himself a bit. He basks. There's no unusual lumps on his back. He was walking around the room, but it was close to lights out, so he was moving slow and just trying to find a place to go to sleep. I will see how he does early in the day tomorrow. I gave him a warm soak and rubbed stomach gently down towards vent. I also gave him some of the prune baby food. He had that last Thursday night and ended up going on Friday morning. I will see how tomorrow goes and go from there with that issue.

There were no other major issues while we were away. He ate every day, basked for hours, etc. Bulb burnt out on the last day, but we had a spare. A bit weaker, but her dad knew to just adjust the fixture a bit lower into the tank. We did not start the Reptaid because I didn't want her dad to have to deal with getting his mouth open for the syringe. I have that down to a science so I am going to start on Saturday. I did have him put a few drops in his morning greens every other day while we were gone though. One thing he said was that after giving him a soak the other day, he turned yellow for a few minutes before darkening up a bit. This made me think of yellow fungus right away. He usually gets very bright outside of his tank, so I think it's nothing. Just for the knowledge though, is yellow fungus something that will be visible regardless of how bright or dark he may be? I looked him over earlier this evening and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So how is your boy doing today?
Yellow Fungus is pretty evident & is always yellow & never changes color until it dies then it turns black or darker. So if he just changed color according to his mood, he should be fine. They will change color according to their body temperature as well.

That is great you had a back up bulb for him since the other one burned out. Is it staying good temperatures for him then I hope? At least you have a good plan for getting the Reptaid & the baby food into him.
I hope he is feeling much better.

Tracie

1537PaperStreet

Original Poster
My girlfriend gave him some more prunes early today and he went bigtime shortly after. Hopefully the woman at the exotics shop we go to got our big tank out of storage while we were away. Reptaid starts tomorrow. Panacur has arrived, so I have that if necessary. Room temperature okay to store that at? And if I do use it in the future, it has a low dose and high dose chart with it. Which one do I use? He's about 300 grams as of two weeks ago, and it's 10% liquid. Thanks for your help. I guess he just outgrew the tank and not having the room to run is causing this issue. Hopefully this 4-6 days between poops stops with the 55 gallon tank.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great your Panacur got there & that you will start the Reptaid as well. Just be sure to start extra oral fluids, too.
It depends on the levels of the worms as to what level you would like to start him at. If they were low to medium then you can go ith the 25mg/kg but if he has had some trouble with them for a little while, you can go with the 50mg/kg. If you want me to dose him, I can, for you.
The Panacur liquid can be stored at room temperature as long as it is not exposed to "extreme" temperatures & or light. If you feel that it could get too hot, then you can store it in the fridge.

Tracie

1537PaperStreet

Original Poster
How much oral water should I give him? He gets his 10 minute daily baths for hydration, but never drinks it on his own. I'm gonna put a small bowl of water on the cool side when I get the bigger tank. I've been very careful with humidity since my first one was sick when I got him and ended up getting worse and dying because the humidity was way high. He is 300 grams and I am doing .25 per day of the Reptaid along with 3 or 4 drops of Acidophilliz every other day. He's doing fine, really. He's pooped every day since I've been home, and it always has a good amount of white in it. All of this is just a precaution at this point.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like he is doing very well & that you are doing everything to ensure he stays hydrated.
I think he will be fine now, with the Reptaid & the acidophiliz.
At least he is doing better now!
If you need anything, just let me know.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom