Are these normal brumation signs?

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Are these normal brumation signs?

Postby Selkie1993 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:22 pm

UPDATE:
I included a pile of sand where his burrow is, and now he's in there all the time, half awake and sometimes sleeping. Today, he doesn't have an interest in coming out.

I heard youre supposed to take them to the vet for brumation clearance? Is this true? :/

My beardie is about a year old and has been exhibiting some signs of brumation, but I wanted the opinion of an experienced owner since I'm nervous :/ (first dragon owner!)

Signs:
-LOTS of digging and hanging out in his hide for long periods of time
-Sleepy and lethargic
-Not too much interest in his food but still eating
-Even when he's out of the tank, he just goes somewhere to sleep.
-Poops at least 1x to 1 every other day. Stinky with water xD

I'm saving up to take him for his first physical next month, but does everything sound normal? :/

Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Are these normal brumation signs?

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:27 pm

You do not haft to take them to the vet before brumation - as long as he is of good weight 300+ grams and not showing signs of parasites/ worms he should be fine - it sounds like hes being lazy and just hanging out as the weather is having some effect on him--- mine arent eating much now either and have been hanging out in their hides on some days as well as basking others -- he is still eating even if a little is good -- get a weight on him w/ a food kitchen scale and keep track of it --- if he decides to go full brumation he will go to sleep and not come out for a while - you can turn lights off early on them but I would turn them on like you normally do --- keep him hydrated so I would get him out every 10 days or so weigh him and offer him water --
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby Selkie1993 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:48 pm

KarrieRee wrote:You do not haft to take them to the vet before brumation - as long as he is of good weight 300+ grams and not showing signs of parasites/ worms he should be fine - it sounds like hes being lazy and just hanging out as the weather is having some effect on him--- mine arent eating much now either and have been hanging out in their hides on some days as well as basking others -- he is still eating even if a little is good -- get a weight on him w/ a food kitchen scale and keep track of it --- if he decides to go full brumation he will go to sleep and not come out for a while - you can turn lights off early on them but I would turn them on like you normally do --- keep him hydrated so I would get him out every 10 days or so weigh him and offer him water --
Karrie

Hi Karrie!
Thanks for taking a look at my question :) I believe he went into brumation today since hes been in his cave all day and totally asleep. I turned his UV and heat lamp off since he seemed disturbed by it.
Is that okay?

Also, should I be offering him food even though hes not basking?

Also, he pooped the other day but only likes to poop outside of the cage. Should i take him out tomorrow so he can relieve himself before sleeping again?
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:05 am

No its not uncommon for them not to poop during brumation - watch and see what he does and if he comes out to do anything bask eat or whatever then take him out - I would leave his lights on but if hes sleeping all day and doesnt come out then you can shut them off early -- the cool weather and days getting shorter I think is what triggers the brumation thing
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby Selkie1993 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:49 am

Awesome!

What about food? Should i leave anything out for him?
And should I leave the UVB and the heat on? Honestly he seemed a little annoyed by them, like he couldnt brumate properly
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:23 pm

He will brumate no matter what -- Hiccup hasnt come out all day - his lights have been on since 7 this morning and he is sleeping - I wouldnt leave any food out - I didnt feed Hiccup today I was going to wait and see if he came out of his hide - then I would of offered food -- and yes turn them on you can always shut them off early if he doesnt come out
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Selkie1993 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:45 pm

KarrieRee wrote:He will brumate no matter what -- Hiccup hasnt come out all day - his lights have been on since 7 this morning and he is sleeping - I wouldnt leave any food out - I didnt feed Hiccup today I was going to wait and see if he came out of his hide - then I would of offered food -- and yes turn them on you can always shut them off early if he doesnt come out
Karrie

Ok so today Drogon woke up, ate a bit, and enjoyed some basking. During brumation, are there days where they just wake up??
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:36 pm

True brumation is sleeping all the time no wake up time usually --- sounds like hes slowing down and being lazy if hes still eating and basking hes not in true brumation -- just watch him and see what he does
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby Selkie1993 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:06 pm

KarrieRee wrote:True brumation is sleeping all the time no wake up time usually --- sounds like hes slowing down and being lazy if hes still eating and basking hes not in true brumation -- just watch him and see what he does
Karrie

i'll keep an eye on him :/ just hope he's not sick

Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:11 pm

If he was sick he would not be eating or basking- and he would be lethargic
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby Selkie1993 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:14 pm

KarrieRee wrote:If he was sick he would not be eating or basking- and he would be lethargic
Karrie

Thanks for helping me Karrie :) I've had exotics before, but none have hibernated or started to shut down. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions!

Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health