How long is too long to be Gavid? Won't finish laying eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leica802

Hi, I am new to the forums and am hoping to get an answer to whether what is going on with my beardie is normal or she needs to go to a Vet (hard now obviously).

The basic synopsis is that she lays infertile eggs every once in a while, usually in clutches of 25-30. Last month, after much digging and signs of being gavid she laid 1 (hardened egg), then the next week, with a dig box, 3 more normal seeming eggs. She wouldn't lay any more except one that she randomly laid in her cage at night the week later, this one was more discolored but soft. She has refused to lay the rest, will dig occasionally but will still eat and move around mostly normally. It has been about two weeks (if I recall correctly) of her not laying the rest of the eggs (that I assume she has since she is large and usually lays more). I am wondering if there is anything (preferably that I), could do to help the laying process or if this is something that requires medical intervention. I soak her in warm water, provide a lay box with about a foot of moist sand and feed her plenty of calcium.

More facts:
About 5 years old (I have owned her since 8 months)
Successfully laid 4 times before always 20-30 eggs

Sorry if I left anything important out, I know your time is extremely valuable but I am at a loss and am having trouble finding any information on this. Thank you very much!

Best wishes,
--
Ian

Leica802

Original Poster
Update: she laid 3 eggs this morning and 28 more after being put back in the dig box! Guess the timing is just not consistent with these things!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Ian, sorry I missed your post here ! Glad to hear that she laid them all, it can be nerve racking waiting to see that all goes well when they are gravid. I guess she saw that you posted that she only laid a few eggs and she said oh yeah, hold my beer. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom