Help me clarify what I've learned about calcium and D3

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if ive done my research correctly, a proper light will allow my future beardie to produce D3 which is essential in calcium absorption.

that leads me to look at the powdered calcium people put on their insects, some of which, advertise having D3 as well.

So if this calcium supplement has D3 mixed in, is the UVB light I ordered (reptisun 10 T5 HO) completely necessary? I thought the whole point of the light was to assist the beadie in D3 production? so why is D3 included in calcium supliments?

my second question is strictly about the powered calcium supplements I see people put on their feeder insects. How necessary is it if I'm feeding my beardie high calcium greens such as dandelion and collard greens? I see all that powder and i just cant shake the idea that there is no way a bearding is using all of that calcium. On a slightly different note, i must admit, im not trusting of products marketed towards pets and Im trying to separate big company propaganda from actual useful and necessary information.

thats why im here, to defer to the wonderful experience yall have :)

(note, i do not own a beardie yet)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
In a nutshell.

IF the uv source gives off sufficient UVB flux as "seen" by the dragon when basking , you don't need vit D3 fortification of the multivitamins and or calcium powder given with it's food.

The dragon can produce ALL the vit D3 it requires via photosynthesis in it's exposed skin if exposed to sufficient levels of UVB flux ( length of time and UVB flux in microW / sq.cm ) is key to this along with sufficient dietary calcium in it's diet (from the greens it's fed, the live insects it's given to eat, and via supplementation by LIGHTLY dusting the insects).

It's a balance , calcium and Vit D3 for good health and proper development.

This will help explain the biochem involved : http://www.uvguide.co.uk/vitdpathway.htm

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
To touch on another point that wasnt answered that you asked about, uvb bulbs provide much more effect than just providing a way for the body to produce vit d. It is needed for many different aspects of their health and well being. UVB bulbs also output UVA in stronger quantities than a basking bulb would, which is also an important part of the equation.

That being said, you can still use a supplement that has d3 in it, but I'd limit it to around 2 or 3 times a week assuming your t5 is at the proper distance. :)

-Brandon

matrixkid29

Original Poster
i appreciate your insight. do you recommend I still supplementing D3 even if i have the proper lighting? or can I forgo it?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I still like to use it at least once a week, but technically speaking you dont need it if your t5 is at a proper distance.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's no problem I guess I didnt even realize it either haha :laughing6:

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom