Beardies not wanting to eat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Hi all - its been a while since I've been on. Both Kevin (aged 6 years and free range ) and Nona (about a 1.5 years in very large tank - she was the one that I rescued, was very sick and emaciated, syringe fed and then really overcame her bad start in life) are doing fine - we had a great summer - they spent a great deal of time outside - I even got one of the cat strollers that zip closed with mesh netting - so I could take them for long walks in the fresh air and sunshine - they loved it. Its now November in Connecticut and since they are not going out in the sunshine for 3 or 4 hours a day - I've changed all their bulbs with brand new UVB plus regular basking bulbs as well a mercury vapor bulbs - Kevin even has a space heater. So they are nice and toasty and have plenty of light. However, neither of them is really interesting in food lately. Kevin only eats when I shove food in his mouth - Flukers buffet blend - he' always loved it and collard greens. As I'm putting food in his mouth, he eats it with gusto like "oh yea I love this stuff" but makes no attempt to eat it on his own - and yes, he's very active, runs all over the house. Nona is kind of the same way - she has no interest in greens or veggies (which she used to eat everything I put in front of her) - she only want her daily raspberry and super-worms - she eats those on her own ...granted - she's not desperate for food anymore and has fresh salad everyday - and some would say would be a tad chubby now - I'm not sure what to do - Kevin always goes off his food once in a while, so I never really worried about that and he doesn't lose weight- he's enormous (he's the Shaquille O'Neil of bearded dragons) and does his own thing. I am confused about Nona though - I've tried all different lettuces and veggies - no interest - just a raspberry.
Any advise?? I'm not new to owning beardies so its not the lights or heat - just wondering if this is a phase and normal for this time of year (especially for Nona) - Kevin has never brumated - and Nona is still a baby and was very comprised health-wise and the vet advised to NOT allow her to brumate as she did not have any fat stores. (yes they go to the vet once a year for a check up)
I've attached some photos - SHE LOVES having a sand box to dig in, I added that this summer - she digs to china!. my cat Lily also liked the sand box as I caught her sleeping in it!
... BTW - The cats and dragons have interacted for years - they get along fine the cats where kittens and Kevin was already 24 inches long - and since Kevin is free range, its not unusual to find cats and Kevin sleeping under his heat lamps together. I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE ELSE DO THIS - MY CATS AND DRAGONS ARE CASE OF LIVING IN BIZARRE HARMONY. I do not suggest anyone else try this.

One more thing - anyone ever spayed a bearded dragon?? I don't want Nona , after her rough start, having to go through egg laying (no I do not let them "mate").
102444-6045819712.jpg
102444-8443773747.jpg
102444-5884312335.jpg
102444-9893676959.jpg
102444-7528892024.jpg
102444-3351721638.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so your dragons look great --- and the cat is in the tank???????????????? I am sorry but I would get her out---- as far a the spaying I recommend not -- I hear unless its absolutely necessary NOT to get them spayed too hard on them and dangerous----- as far as not eating my guess is they are slowing down for the winter it sounds like they had a wonderful summer and getting ready for brumation which is a natural thing --- on this website look for brumation article its under behavior and anatomy on right side of page
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear they are both doing well. It's definitely common for them to slow down a bit at this time of year. They both look pretty healthy in the photos so I'd just keep track of their weight and let them do their thing. If they aren't hungry that's fine as long as they aren't losing much weight. They tend to slow their metabolism when they slow down so they don't require much and don't lose much weight.

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":cuypg9nz said:
Ok so your dragons look great --- and the cat is in the tank???????????????? I am sorry but I would get her out---- as far a the spaying I recommend not -- I hear unless its absolutely necessary NOT to get them spayed too hard on them and dangerous----
Karrie

Thanks KerrieRee - I worry mostly about Nona because she was such a sick baby when I got her - terrible neglect, malnourished, dehydrated, could not move. (this is her when I first got her from the rescue
102444-4825526346.jpg
. Obviously she'e recovered from her ordeal -obviously don't want her to go through any surgery but I also don't want her to have infertile eggs or follicles rotting in her belly.
No worries about the cats either- we have a very special circumstance - and I'm extremely lucky that my cats think that the dragons as spikey cats, not play things - they mainly leave them alone and just like to sleep under the heat lamps - as a free range guy Kevin is very territorial and if he's not in the mood for a cat, he'll chase them out. He's also quite large and can give a mean bite.

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":mu7fjhe9 said:
I'm glad to hear they are both doing well. It's definitely common for them to slow down a bit at this time of year. They both look pretty healthy in the photos so I'd just keep track of their weight and let them do their thing. If they aren't hungry that's fine as long as they aren't losing much weight. They tend to slow their metabolism when they slow down so they don't require much and don't lose much weight.

Thanks Coop - they'll be going to the vet in January for their annual weigh in and check up - I'm Italian, I need my creatures to eat - I worry if they don't. My grandmother would pack us with enough sandwiched to feed a small army for a 2 hour drive from Queen, NY to Connecticut, so not eating panics me. :lol:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi K.M, I remember your gang ! [ including the kitties ] Your dragons are both very robust and Nona's past should ave no bearing at all if she decides to take the big nap. :) I wouldn't worry about letting her brumate, just let them both do what they want. And spaying itself is a major surgery and can have it's own health risks. Just keep her as healthy as possible, hydrated + calcium supplemented. Good health also includes not letting her get TOO chubby because excess fat can crowd the reproductive tract and possibly make it more difficult to lay any eggs.

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey AHBD ....long time (been a while and since I don’t like getting yelled at about my cats...I logged off for a bit)
I love it - “robust” that is awesome. Nona did make up for her bad start - but how do you put a dragon on a diet??
They both had great summers - played outside everyday - lots of exercise, fresh air and sunshine. I even grew our own micro greens, collard greens and Nona is obsessed with zucchini blossoms ....
So if you think she is good to not worry about going off her food and being a bit less hungry than usual and that I should not worry about it too much, I’ll take your advise and not fret too much. Kevin is still the King of the House. Does his rounds, makes sure we’re all safe and no one is touching his stuff. Thanks for your advise.i appreciate it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, sounds like they had a great summer for sure with fresh air and good farm to table eating. :) Their diet sounds great, just cut however many insects you give them to about half for a while. The good thing about a chubby dragon going in to brumation or just going off food is they rarely lose much weight at all. I've even seen threads where they actually continued to gain a few grams because their weight was slowly trending up before that.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I agree with AHBD (as usual lol)
Things sound fine I wouldnt worry too much. I know that's hard sometimes lol :)

KevinsMom33":5j84rm6s said:
been a while and since I don’t like getting yelled at about my cats...I logged off for a bit)
I hate that you feel that way though. This is a community for all and if you ever feel that way, let one of us know and we will try to remedy the situation. Everyone deserves to be a part of this community without feeling ran off by their opinions or care practices. Hope you stick around this time :D
Really would love to hear more about your dragons. It sounds like they have an awesome setup.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, keep us posted on these 2 beauties, no need to get chased away. Brandon will bring the hammer down on any one that hassles you !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom