Droopy Eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys! I just want to say I'm still pretty much a novice when it comes to health of a bearded draggo.

Let's get right to the point, eh?

My bearded dragon, which I received two weeks ago from a breeder who uses coil bulbs in melamine tanks, has droopy eyes. My first two assumptions were either hypovitaminosis A or the bulb had caused damage to their eyes. I'll be sending a picture to demonstrate what I am talking about when I get home- but based on what I've supplied, would the latter make more sense? She's only 4 months old, clutch birth 6/13/19, and doesn't seem to display any other sort of health issues.

Tank specs: 40 Gallon (I forget dimensions off the top of my head.)
Temperature Range: 115*F in Basking Spot; 75*F on the cool-end.
Lighting: 100 Watt Heat Bulb in Deep Dome fixture; 5T 10.0 UVA/B Florescent Bulb.
Furniture: Store-bought climbing tree/rock. (I intend on redoing this into a slow climb-up of flat rocks.); netting (cleaned in water.); black-foam crafting tiles for flooring; hammock and a beardie-safe plant.

Also sorry if my formatting is weird! First time ever being on a forum. :lol:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The photos will be helpful for determining the extent of the eye droop. It may be lighting related but some of them just naturally have droopier eyes than others. It's not necessarily a problem. Your heat and lighting sounds good now, so that may help correct some issues with previous lighting setups she was exposed to.

VingamSecuris

Original Poster
106496-8215485909.jpg

Here's the image, I looked at other posts about it and I assume it isn't an issue in absolute?

(She likes to sprawl out on my arm while I watch videos to wind down.)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Droopy eyes can be from lots of things, and it's not always a sign that something is wrong.

Sometimes it can be a sign of dehydration, but if the urate looks fine, I wouldn't worry about that.

I also wouldn't worry about the cfls causing any eye issues like that.

It most likely is either genetic, or something that will pass.

By the time Tombo was about 4 or 5 months old, I noticed his eyes were a bit droopy. Nothing had changed with him besides a recent growth spurt now that I think about it.
Anyways, hes perfectly healthy and his eyes are a lot less droopy now. Almost nothing noticable at all actually.

My point is I wouldnt worry. There really isnt anything you can do anyways besides provide a proper diet and proper husbandry, so no poiunt in worrying about it anyways :)

Things like this are more so a good reminder to us to check on everything and make sure everything is ok :)

Shes a beauty! And really her eyes aren't even too droopy :)

-Brandon

VingamSecuris

Original Poster
D'aww, thanks!

As for the urate, she's definitely healthy on that part- nothing abnormal. Just a typical white color!

I suppose I was paranoid about her eyes due to the surprise of her immediately being acquainted with the basking spot and doing the iconic jump-scare of eye bulging. Which, of course, caught me off guard since I never saw the other gal do that.

Regardless,
Thanks so much for the help! Having a second opinion is always amazing on the nerves.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It is, that's what we are here for :)

Anyways, it's better to be overly cautious than to be overly lax. Especially when a life is your responsibility :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom