New Baby, Lethargic, Not Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lmod738

Hi everyone! We just got a baby beardie from Petco last Friday. I know better than to buy pets from pet stores... it just happened. We bought the bearded dragon kit and being the research junkie that I am quickly realized that it was not sufficient for optimal care. Sunday I went and bought a Reptisun 10.0 tube light and fixture mounted inside the vivarium, probe thermometer, 100w basking bulb. Cool side is 75, warm side is 85, basking is 100-110.

Anyhow, he ate a couple crickets the first few days, a couple meal worms on Monday (I know, not ideal), and some mango. Since then I've offered meal worms and the last two days, Dubias, but he's just not eating. I stopped with the fruit and switched to only greens for now since I understand fruit is only a treat. He's pooped once a day since we've had him.

I noticed him walking on his wrists casually and his toes and limbs curl inward when picked up and set back down. This is what led me to the improved UVB setup. He also doesn't move around much, staying in the hottest spot of the basking area all day, seemingly sleeping. Even at night he's in the same spot all night.

Is this really relocation stress and I should relax (I'm a perfectionist and when you know better, you should do better), or do I have a sickly little beardie from the big box pet store? He also seems a bit dehydrated so I put a shallow dish of water in with him today. I didn't see him drink at all but who knows?

These are pictures first thing in the morning. He does boost himself up into the basking heat as soon as I turn it on.
105939-2806014763.jpg
105939-5454558041.jpg
105939-9065589616.jpg

This is him in the afternoon, after basking all day. He seems okay-ish, just lethargic and a little thin in my novice opinion.
105939-8879729658.jpg
105939-2501798468.jpg
105939-7263340680.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Walking on his wrist is not a good thing- hes probably going thru some relocation stress but not to quit eating all together --- good temps in the tank --- I cant tell where the UVB is? What is the bulb for the UVB? Is it the T 5 or the T 8? I would not feed him anymore meal worms they are too hard on babies stomachs - I would stick w/ the dubias and greens --
Karrie

Lmod738

Original Poster
KarrieRee":n71diyal said:
Walking on his wrist is not a good thing- hes probably going thru some relocation stress but not to quit eating all together --- good temps in the tank --- I cant tell where the UVB is? What is the bulb for the UVB? Is it the T 5 or the T 8? I would not feed him anymore meal worms they are too hard on babies stomachs - I would stick w/ the dubias and greens --
Karrie

It is the T8, is the T5 better? The UVB fixture is mounted with contact strips inside the tank. I read a bunch of comments that the screen filtered the light so I mounted it inside.

Lmod738

Original Poster
Also, I tried getting him to eat a dubia yesterday holding it up to his mouth, he just wasn't having it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They are both good bulbs - the T 5 is a stronger bulb and needs to be changed out 1 time per year - the T 8 needs to be changed out 2 per year--- and yes the T 8 needs to go inside the tank approx 6-8 inches from his basking spot -- he needs to be able to sit directly under it -- the dubia you tried feeding are they small? I am not sure why hes not eating ---- keep us posted on his eating - and just keep feeding him offering him food - some one else is gonna haft to weigh in on why he wouldnt be eating w / the temps and lighting good
Karrie

Lmod738

Original Poster
KarrieRee":i3vjrpu7 said:
They are both good bulbs - the T 5 is a stronger bulb and needs to be changed out 1 time per year - the T 8 needs to be changed out 2 per year--- and yes the T 8 needs to go inside the tank approx 6-8 inches from his basking spot -- he needs to be able to sit directly under it -- the dubia you tried feeding are they small? I am not sure why hes not eating ---- keep us posted on his eating - and just keep feeding him offering him food - some one else is gonna haft to weigh in on why he wouldnt be eating w / the temps and lighting good
Karrie

Yes, they are small dubia. I'm really just hoping it's relocation stress causing it. He's super easy to handle and will climb around when out, I just would feel a whole lot better if he were eating. He was shedding the tip of his nose when we got him, that has since come off. Nothing else is really immediately obvious.

Linzloohoo

Hatchling Member
Seems like you’re doing everything right. Are you dusting his Dubai’s with calcium? When we first got our baby home he was literally licking up calcium from his feeding bins floor. I don’t know if they get any at all at the pet stores. Dragons usually don’t drink from a water dish. Try using a syringe to drop water on his nose. I’m thinking maybe he’s dehydrated? You’ll know if he’s thirsty If he eagerly laps up the water.

Lmod738

Original Poster
Linzloohoo":2glmgoc3 said:
Seems like you’re doing everything right. Are you dusting his Dubai’s with calcium? When we first got our baby home he was literally licking up calcium from his feeding bins floor. I don’t know if they get any at all at the pet stores. Dragons usually don’t drink from a water dish. Try using a syringe to drop water on his nose. I’m thinking maybe he’s dehydrated? You’ll know if he’s thirsty If he eagerly laps up the water.

Hi! Yes, I found a tiny syringe today and dripped it on him nose. He licked a bit but he didn't stick his tongue out. Is that how it works? That was the other thing I was thinking, that maybe he is a bit dehydrated.

Also, yes to the calcium. Only thing is it won't help if he doesn't eat...

Lmod738

Original Poster
And when he's out and I set him down, his legs are like this for a bit. Is that normal? He will eventually crawl out of it though.
105939-1850251095.jpg

Lmod738

Original Poster
Update for today - he is perking up a bit, I think he was starting to become a bit dehydrated. He's still not totally ravenous over his dubias and bsfls but I think it's only a matter of time. Will update again tomorrow!

Mari881

We are going through something really similar. Just got our baby on Friday. He didn’t eat anything today. I didn’t dust his crickets with calcium the first couple of days and dusted all the new ones. I wonder if my guy doesn’t like the calcium :/
105935-2783528180.jpg

Linzloohoo

Hatchling Member
Lmod738":3s676dpd said:
Update for today - he is perking up a bit, I think he was starting to become a bit dehydrated. He's still not totally ravenous over his dubias and bsfls but I think it's only a matter of time. Will update again tomorrow!

I’m glad that he seems better! Usually if it’s dehydration they will perk up pretty quickly. Sorry for the late reply, how’s he doing now? Hopefully he’s started eating for you.

Lmod738

Original Poster
Linzloohoo":ku8zatow said:
Lmod738":ku8zatow said:

I’m glad that he seems better! Usually if it’s dehydration they will perk up pretty quickly. Sorry for the late reply, how’s he doing now? Hopefully he’s started eating for you.

He's getting more and more active, now switching between basking and UV. He's still not eating bugs but does seem interested in eating some greens. He continues to lick up water from a syringe daily, so that's reassuring. I think eventually he will get into the bugs, I wish he would so I wouldn't obsess over it so much! He did finish his tail shed yesterday, so now is all orange:) Pretty boy! Looking at his pics, he's not chubby but looks decent to me?
Before shed:
105939-7567293923.jpg
After shed:
105939-9433075538.jpg

Lmod738

Original Poster
He also seems to really like hanging from the hammock in the basking light. To me it's kind of like kicking one leg out of the blankets, lol.
105939-9210523939.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom