Relocation stress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madsmart

Hi all, I’m new to this. We just adopted our baby beardie, Nox, yesterday from a pet store. We have him in a ten gallon tank with a 100w bulb sitting at 110, cold side sitting at 85, and it’s a little humid in there rn because it’s raining outside. He has eaten several crickets this morning as well as some collard greens. He has dark stress spots on his belly and it’s scaring me—could this just be relocation stress? Will he calm down eventually? We currently have him in our dining room where he can hear the dog walking around, should I put him somewhere else? He also hasn’t pooped yet and we got him yesterday, should I be concerned?

Tl;dr new beardie mom is very stressed out about her new baby. Please give all the tips you have.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes it is probably relocation stress - as long as the dog is not bothering him he should be ok -- as far as the 10 gallon tank he will not be in that tank long ---they quickly outgrow it - as far as upgrading I would consider up grading to the largest tank you can afford - they recommend a 75-120 gallon just fyi!! What kind of UVB do you have over him now? Brand and bulb please! We can help you w/ that if you need help - please do not go to the pet store for advice - most often they give bad advice and the dragon ends up sick or dead---------- dont put him in a room by himself as they do like socialization - when approaching come from the side and not over head as they tend to think its a predator - they have like a 3rd eye for just that that sits on top of their head-- his eating may slow down but not completely quit- its good that hes eating greens already--- here is nutrition website for you •
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I would recommend dubia roaches for a staple feeder - they are way more healthier and less stinky and easier to keep -- they can be kept in a 10 gallon tank such as the one you have fed dubia food and carrots for hydration - they can be ordered on line from various suppliers - and they last a long time un like the crickets that die off right away----------- if you need more ideas or help please ask -- but for now your lighting in the tank is the most crucial thing and the basking temps of which is good - Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Hi, and Welcome to the Site.

You'll need to start thinking/planning for a much larger enclosure--the largest you can afford--for when he grows larger. It cannot be too big--even for a young dragon.

I wouldn't worry about the humidity--it does rain (occasionally) even in the Outback. Long-term averages are more important.

He's eating good (well?) Yes, those stress marks are likely from relocation, but his appetite is a really good sign. He should calm down, though every BD is different--it could take a few days to a couple weeks. Try to establish things asap so he's not "surprised" by changes every few days.

The dog... again, it depends on the individuals (dog & dragon); some adapt well--others not so much. Watch their body language & try to interpret as best you can. Ask questions here if you continue to have concerns.

I wouldn't be concerned about defecating yet. It could be part of the relocation stress; OTOH, some dragons occasionally miss a day or 2. It can also depend on diet. I wouldn't be concerned unless/until it's been several days. A warm (not hot) bath may help "loosen" him up.

Calm down. These are very hardy lizards. :wink:

madsmart

Original Poster
MrSpectrum":1v0tw4rd said:
Hi, and Welcome to the Site.

You'll need to start thinking/planning for a much larger enclosure--the largest you can afford--for when he grows larger. It cannot be too big--even for a young dragon.

I wouldn't worry about the humidity--it does rain (occasionally) even in the Outback. Long-term averages are more important.

He's eating good (well?) Yes, those stress marks are likely from relocation, but his appetite is a really good sign. He should calm down, though every BD is different--it could take a few days to a couple weeks. Try to establish things asap so he's not "surprised" by changes every few days.

The dog... again, it depends on the individuals (dog & dragon); some adapt well--others not so much. Watch their body language & try to interpret as best you can. Ask questions here if you continue to have concerns.

I wouldn't be concerned about defecating yet. It could be part of the relocation stress; OTOH, some dragons occasionally miss a day or 2. It can also depend on diet. I wouldn't be concerned unless/until it's been several days. A warm (not hot) bath may help "loosen" him up.

Calm down. These are very hardy lizards. :wink:

Thank you very much. I cannot tell you how calming that last sentence was! I actually was able to find a 50gal for pretty cheap near me so we are going to move him into that with more hides and a hammock so hopefully he can adjust to a bigger tank with more stimulation. He did poo this morning after some collard greens and seems to be happy relaxing on his basking tree. I also got some shelf liner as a substrate for the bigger enclosure and I’m hoping that will help. Thank you again!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
madsmart":363eorbi said:
I actually was able to find a 50gal for pretty cheap near me so we are going to move him into that with more hides and a hammock so hopefully he can adjust to a bigger tank with more stimulation.
That's about the minimum for an adult BD; ideal size being 120 gal. (4' x 2' x 2')
Plans are available if you're handy and can/want to DIY.
There's a poll here: https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=35324&view=viewpoll

Another factor is how much time he'll be in the enclosure vs. "free-ranging".

YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom