Baby Beardie Extremely Lethargic/Shedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerBlue

Original Poster
claudiusx":gplkxppj said:
Hi there,

Did you end up getting your uvb changed?

That's great that you have a digital with probe end when you place the probe on his basking area under his light, what does it read? I only ask for clarification because you gave quite a wide range earlier and it really shouldn't have that big of a temp difference.

Since you've had him for 2 months already, he really should have grown more with you. What do you typically feed him and how often. Or has he never been a good eater? Babies should be getting live food 2 or 3 times a day, and allowed to eat as much as they want in each of those feedings. This can easily equal up to and over 30 crickets a day. It's not uncommon for them to eat double that at times.

If your temps are good, and your uv light is good, he should regain his appetite and start eating for you. From there things should get better.

But the most important thing now is nailing down your husbandry, and getting him eating.

-Brandon
We will be getting the UVB changed by Friday. He has never eaten well, though I feed him twice a day. He never eats more than five crickets at a time. The probe currently reads 102 exactly.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Great that you will getting the bulb soon. We've really seen that help when they get under better lighting.

What size crickets are you using. If they are bigger he will obviously eat less of them. Have you tried any other insects with him to see if he likes them better?

With how little he eats, does he poo very often?

This is kind of a shot in the dark, but you might consider moving him from the window. It's possible birds flying by or cats outside or just the general hustle and bustle of the outside world could be stressing him out a bit. Plus if the sun is ever hitting it, the tank will most likely get too hot. I know you and karrie were talking about it being by the window but I wasnt sure if you moved it or not.

-Brandon

TylerBlue

Original Poster
claudiusx":7mu0pl2w said:
Great that you will getting the bulb soon. We've really seen that help when they get under better lighting.

What size crickets are you using. If they are bigger he will obviously eat less of them. Have you tried any other insects with him to see if he likes them better?

With how little he eats, does he poo very often?

This is kind of a shot in the dark, but you might consider moving him from the window. It's possible birds flying by or cats outside or just the general hustle and bustle of the outside world could be stressing him out a bit. Plus if the sun is ever hitting it, the tank will most likely get too hot. I know you and karrie were talking about it being by the window but I wasnt sure if you moved it or not.

-Brandon
We use small crickets (typically from Petco), but are looking into getting phoenix worms soon. He has been going to the bathroom about once a day, despite eating only two crickets in the past four days or so.
We were considering that because it has already gotten down as low as 66 degrees at night.
I also wanted to mention that he sleeps constantly unless I take him outside into direct sun. Does that tell you anything?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Tyler, you're doing a great job reaching out for help and gotten some good advice. It's nice that your grandma wants to help ! Definitely take the undertank heater back though. Your # 1 pproblem will be the lighting. Babies can not thrive without uvb no matter what type of vitamins + calcium you give them. Taking him out in the sun [ NEVER in a glass tank though ! ] is the best thing for him until you get the much needed uvb bulb that was mentioned. One other thing to keep in mind is that some babies come from sickly breeder [ mother ] dragons so that can affect their health, so can bad care at a pet store. If he was from a store, was he + the other dragons healthy + alert looking ?

For now I would set him up in a smaller enclosure, get a plastic tote like I have in this link, it's how I raised all my babies that I bred years ago.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29889/full

That way all the lights will be closer + he'll get a little bit of uvb from the weak bulb you have.

TylerBlue

Original Poster
AHBD":3r7zef2b said:
Hi Tyler, you're doing a great job reaching out for help and gotten some good advice. It's nice that your grandma wants to help ! Definitely take the undertank heater back though. Your # 1 pproblem will be the lighting. Babies can not thrive without uvb no matter what type of vitamins + calcium you give them. Taking him out in the sun [ NEVER in a glass tank though ! ] is the best thing for him until you get the much needed uvb bulb that was mentioned. One other thing to keep in mind is that some babies come from sickly breeder [ mother ] dragons so that can affect their health, so can bad care at a pet store. If he was from a store, was he + the other dragons healthy + alert looking ?

For now I would set him up in a smaller enclosure, get a plastic tote like I have in this link, it's how I raised all my babies that I bred years ago.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29889/full

That way all the lights will be closer + he'll get a little bit of uvb from the weak bulb you have.
The babies (him included) at the Petco we got him from all seemed alert. I don't know how healthy they were, as he is my first dragon, but I can say that. We will be replacing the UV light in a couple days. Which UVB tube would you recommend for a 40 gallon aquarium?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The same bulbs that Karrie said....A Reptisun 10.0 t5 or an Arcadia D3 14 %. The Arcadia IS harder to get as quickly. But please put him in a small plastic bin like I posted for you. He can not get enough heat + uvb as he is in the large tank. You'd need at least a 100 watt heat bulb and if your house is cool during the day [ below 76F ] then he will not have enough heat from that double fixture. Sadly, they are a waste of money. I always recommend an aluminum dome fixture for heat bulbs. BTW, drip some water on his snout to see if he wants a drink.

TylerBlue

Original Poster
Thanks for the UVB bulb recommendations. I would love to move him into a better environment but I don't have a tub like that. It will only be a couple days before I am able to get to the store to get him the correct light fixture and a higher wattage bulb. The cool end of the tank is currently reading at 85 degrees.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's pretty warm on the cool end. Is that also measuring with the temp and probe? I would definitely move the tank if the window is causing the temps to be too high.

-Brandon

TylerBlue

Original Poster
claudiusx":146vefmf said:
That's pretty warm on the cool end. Is that also measuring with the temp and probe? I would definitely move the tank if the window is causing the temps to be too high.

-Brandon
That temp reading was from the dial thermometer that is suction cupped to the inside of the tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Those dial stick ons thermometers are totally inaccurate -- you need a digital probe or infrared heat gun --- the digital probes you can get at Petsmart or Petco for around $5-- you need to get one -- infrared heat guns can be bought at Home Depot or Lowes for around $10-12 they are a good investment --- when taking temp w/ a digital take probe and set it on basking area and leave for 10 minute you can also place the probe on the side of the tank on cool side to get temp
Karrie
---

TylerBlue

Original Poster
I came home from school yesterday and found my dragon dead. Thank you all for trying to help, and I'm sorry I couldn't do more faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom