Ate a piece of plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinM

My bearded dragon Ralph just ate a piece of plastic about 1.25 cm long and pretty thin. He is a full grown male bearded dragon so he is decently big and when he swallowed it it didn't seem to bother him. Just wondering what I can do to help him pass it. We gave him lots of water and a little bit of olive oil so far and I will be bathing him in the morning. Thanks

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He should pass it just fine. Any sharp edges on it? What was it from?

-Brandon

VinM

Original Poster
It was from a plastic fork that we had been using to feed him. The piece he got was one of the tops of a prong.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh ok. Yeah it should be fine. just keep an eye on him. It can take quite awhile to pass these things sometimes.

-Brandon

VinM

Original Poster
He has had multiple bowel movements and he doesn’t have a black beard or anything but he still hasn’t passed it. We are going to keep feeding him regularly and hope he can pass it.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Great that he doesnt seem bothered.
It usually is the solid foods that help push it out.
We've seen it take quite awhile in the past to pass foreign bodies.

Thanks for the update!
If his poos start to slow down I would add a bit of baby food too to help move the solid food along. That and the drop of olive oil.

-Brandon

VinM

Original Poster
He is still pooing regularly and is acting completely fine with no black beard. He has been going poo every single day but still hasn’t passed it. How long should we wait before looking to go to the vet. I’ve seen some people say a week and others say 2-3. Thanks.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Unfortunately there isnt much a vet can do. The plastic wont show up on xray. So the only option would be surgery, which carries its own serious risks.

I mentioned earlier that it can take awhile sometimes because I didn't want you to get too freaked out about it not coming out quickly. Weve seen it take weeks. In one case where I believe It was a penny, it came out (of my memory isnt failing me) almost 2 months later.

If he is showing no I'll symptoms I would just try to keep it in the back of your mind, and not at the forefront :)

Good luck!

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":25e70ulp said:
In one case where I believe It was a penny, it came out (of my memory isnt failing me) almost 2 months later.
:!: A BD passed a penny :shock:

I'm having trouble even getting my head around that. The gullet, sure--some of those are HUGE! The stomach, sure--I've seen BDs eat an obscene # of bugs at a time. It's the intestines... didn't know they were that flexible to pass anything that large/shape.

Someone should write a paper! :D

fcooper

Hatchling Member
This should be no trouble. Feed her as usual to encapsulate the piece and it should move right through the G.I tract.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Swungmilk":2vu45zld said:
GREAT NEWS! HE PASSED IT! He was acting a bit strange yesterday, he was perched in a strange upright vertical position for like 2 hours straight after a warm bath. We heard a bit of shuffling and checked on him, and surely enough, the penny was there!
Well, I can't say I'm surprised at that! :shock:
I didn't say I didn't believe it--it was (and still is a bit) hard to get my head around. It's like a human passing an aluminum CD! :lol:

They are hardy l'il buggers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom