Bearded dragon puffing his beard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kepsalom

Hey, I got this lovely bearded dragon a month ago. He recently had impaction but I managed to clear it with a warm bath. I thought his beard puffing and head nodding would stop there. Should I be concerned? Because it didn't stop, he also stopped eating kale but he still loves crickets. I thought he was going through brumation but he seems active. Is this OK? And could he still be in brumation even though he comes out to eat and bask every day for 4-5 hours?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I'm a little confused :? on the kale issue. Some sources say it's fine; others say it's high in oxalates and binds calcium, so should only be given occasionally. :dontknow:

As far as the beard puffing and head nodding, I have doubts they were connected to impaction.
Both behaviors have been associated with dominance; head bobbing may also be a defensive behavior.
Bearded Dragon Behavior
http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-behavior.php
You'll also find a LOT of threads about these behaviors in the archives--use the search facility in the upper right corner.

Are there any other BDs or other reptiles in the house? Other pets?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The head bobbing is the dominance thing - the beard puffing is stretching his beard - alot of them do it in the morning or at least mine does - as far as eating kale is that all your feeding him for greens? Visit this website for more nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html I would give him variety -- also might want to think about switching out his crickets to maybe dubia roaches ---
Karrie

Kepsalom

Original Poster
Hey, thanks for the responses. There are no other pets, and I may have forgotten to mention that he also eats dubia roaches. I will try to vary his greens more and read up on the nutritional value of other greens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom