Swollen toe

Status
Not open for further replies.

RANGOKAY

Hi guys my bearded dragons toe has been swelling lately and I’m not sure if it’s stuck shed could anyone help me out. I’ve been watching it to see if the swelling goes down but it hasn’t seemed to. She’s also been having leg spasms in her leg with the troubled toe.

105676-5646980382.jpg
105676-9150910740.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The waxiness of the skin makes me think the end of the toe might be about to shed. It's also possible the nail got caught in something though. It doesn't look severe at the moment but look for increased swelling or redness in the area which may indicate injury.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I'm not a veterinarian, and a good reptile vet is better than any advice you can get off the internet.
That said, it looks to me like the toe could be sprained or broken.
Reptiles--partly due to their slow & simpler metabolisms--don't exhibit pain like mammals do.

AFAIK, there isn't much a veterinarian would be likely to do (doctors wouldn't even set DW's toe when she broke it) except watch it as it heals--it's too small. It's the kind of injury that may just have to heal on its own--and most likely will.

In addition to redness/swelling, watch out for darkness, shrinking, or blackness, which could be indicative of necrotic tissue. That could be more serious, and should be taken to a reptile vet.

Best Wishes

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon's toe doing this evening?
It does look somewhat like shed, but it could also be an injury of some type, too.
You had mentioned the leg was having muscle spasms or twitches on the same leg as the
injured or odd looking toe?
Are you using a good UVB light?

Tracie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I was visiting with a veterinary friend this evening, and mentioned this situation. She suggested checking very closely if there might be something threadlike (from substrate or log bark) that might have wrapped around the toe, constricting it. Just something else to rule out. Other than that, she confirmed what I wrote previously.

RANGOKAY

Original Poster
Hi everyone thank you so much for all the help, her toe is still looking the same today but she seems fine. I just brought a new uvb light a month ago for her as well. I have noticed that she is going to shed soon and I just don’t want her toe to have stuck shed and possibly lose her toe.

Thanks x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom